• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Faster 1600

Guest Anonymous

If you just got your license, the last thing you need is a faster car!

Teenagers who fall into the 16 to 19 age group have the highest instances of auto collisions among any other age group.

Some people attribute this trend to lack of driving experience, but research is more and more confirming that poor decision making and impulsivity among teen drivers may lead to higher risk taking while behind the wheel.

The odds are that you are going to be involved in a traffic accident in the next 18 mos. A fast car increases those odds. Those are the statistics and while they don't apply to everyone, they are derived from everyone.

If you have an accident, aside from possible injury or worse, your ins. rates will be so high that you probably won't be able to afford it.

Take a year to learn the car and improve your skillset, using this forum as a resource. Then, once you've got the worst period behind you, think about improving the car. But, use the next year to improve you.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

What kind of faster. First off make it stop faster. Bleed and repair the brakes. Then make it turn faster- go through the suspension and get it all fresh and tight. And take some driver-ed courses at the track or autocross course. After all that I think you'll find that it is not as slow as you thought.

I cannot believe to this day that I never wrecked a car when I was a teen.

Motorcycle- thats a different story.

My son is 17 and started a year ago with the 1600, we recently up-graded to a 2.0 with about 150+ hp.

I sent him to a driving class at the local Larry Miller sports park where he learned how to handle a car in extreme conditions, fast lane changes, time in a skid car and class time with teaching from the pros.

I recommened this first, then start squeezing the speed in.

Oh, and get a job, speed cost dear ol dad a bunch of dough.

Anything you want, all you have to do is try.

#1 make the 1600 run and drive safely!

#2 take one of these and call us in the morning... Make yourself a better safer faster driver before you even think about making the car faster...

http://www.streetsurvival.org I am an instructor for them in Northern California.

When I was 18 I took the equivalent BMW Car Club of America Car Control Clinic and had SO much fun and learned SO much I can hardly describe it. Just trust me that you'll love the experience.

If there is not one of the Street Survival courses in your area tell us where you are and we will help you find an equivalent.

I feel for you, I started in the nearly the same position. When I was a teenager my first car was a 1600 handed down to me by my Sister. I fortunately had been driving for 6 mos already and had my first big accident over with by the time I was driving my 1600 regularly... And I was fortunate that my Dad is a big BMW car guy that built the car nice, safe and solid for my sis. It already had Koni shocks, Suspension Techniques springs, a built 2-liter, five speed and much more. All I had to do was maintain it... and have fun driving it. :)

Eventually I did get into an accident with it though. The money from the insurance company was easily enough to have the body repaired properly, but all that money went to my head and I regret to this day that I have never really had the money to have it done right. So.... learn this lesson, if your gonna fx anything on the car DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME and you won't have to redo poor quality work in the future!

Sorry to rant at you, but I've been there and done that.... As most of us here have. There's allot of experienced folks here... listen to the knowledge, that's why you came to this forum right. :P.....

As for the car. I recommend taking it to the best BMW shop you can find that has experience with 2002s/1600s and tell them that you want a safety and preventative maintenance inspection, that you are interested in working on some or most of the car yourself but with your lack of experience and $$ you are going to have to take it one step at a time. A good shop will make a prioritized list of what the car needs and recommend what safety and maintenance stuff should be done first. Who knows, maybe your parents will kick down for some of this first work that needs to be done. Let us know where you located and we can recommend a shop in your area that is '02 friendly.

There will be relatively simple things that you can tackle by yourself and then there will be things you will need help with, then things that are best left for professionals and your hard earned cash.

One of my first jobs was at a repair shop. I learned a lot and got to use the lifts and tools on the weekends to work on my own car. Basically a great summer job for a young car guy. Highly recommended, BUT if you are on the college path, keep it part time and don't get sucked in all the way unless you wanna do it for the rest of your life..... another lesson I learned. :P

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

i am 17 and have a 2002 with 150 to 160 horsepower. theres nothing wrong with that. first for easy "cheap" horsepower get an aftermarket exhaust or carbs. after that cams. if i were u i would save for a bigger motor. deffinitely the 2.0 from a 2002 or my dream a 325i motor. where u located?

im 20, the 2002 is the most fun car ive ever driven. i have a 74 malaga 2002. engine was rebuilt: bored out to a 2.1, litghtweight pistons, shrick cam, dual weber 40's, msd, custom exhaust. 3.91 lsd, h&r lowering springs. bilstein sport

My 1st car was an 67 2000 Tilux with Weber 45 DCOE's, and boy was she quick!

Anyway my dad who was a mechanic all his life, one day cautioned me when I basically asked him the same thing.

It's now 30 years later and I still remember what he said!

He asked me and I quote "do you want to break your mothers heart ?"

Well that sunk in, and while I've always had fun with every one of my BMWs there is a smart way to do it.

Just thought I'd pass that along.[/b]

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

87 535IS, my beloved ''Giesella" that I've had for 16.5+ years.