• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator mounting issue

nbristow01

Hi all, my alternator is somewhat lose and I can wiggle it a good 1/4 inch.

It appears teh upper mount has a bolt going through it with maybe a bushing? or tube? it wiggles there and also the lower bracket (the adjuster one)semms loose but all bolts are tight. ANy help?

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Sometimes the bushings wear and causes movement which in turn cocks the belt to make it squeal.

Could be loose bolts also or even a bum belt. Could be all of the above but I'm about to find out myself. Mine just started squealing and the belt is tight so next check bushings and brackets.

I remember reading an article a while back about urethane bushings and some one suggested Teflon bushings as they are stiffer and less prone to sag but I'm sticking with rubber.

Whether or not you order from Blunt, you also can go to www.bavauto.com and search on "alternator bushing" and see what the parts are. There are regular and urethane bushings for the pivot point on the alternator. Then there are also the bushings for the rail that it tightens onto.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

black goo in 3-4 years; my urethane bushings are still going strong at 12 years...

nuff said. dont forget the adjustment bracket bushing...it's available in urethane too.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite