• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cluster history?

rdeeble

I love CD's original comparo-

ironically, I find the controls and driving

position of the dash in the E36 to be far

better than anything else BMW's done-

everything is right where you want it,

and all the dash lights can (and do)

burn out, and the only thing you can't

find by instinct is the dash light dimmer.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Great discussion, this forum /community and Steve's stewardship bring an element  of great- I will say it- joy -to vintage BMW driving and celebration.

I have been in/ around /owned coupes, BMW bikes, NKs and 02 s since I was 4yo-   we are Church of High Performance Blessed to have this forum.  

Thank you Steve,  thank you so very much for sharing your wisdom, bringing us all together,  and all the time and significant energy that it takes to maintain this technological platform.

I couldn't be more sincere. Best Regards Peter

post-39399-0-87460700-1454692164_thumb.j

post-39399-0-27086100-1454692428_thumb.j

post-39399-0-97425200-1454692542_thumb.j

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Great discussion, this forum /community and Steve's stewardship bring an element  of great- I will say it- joy -to vintage BMW driving and celebration...Best Regards Peter

Hey Peter, what is the story on that wood dash cover featured in the upper right photo you posted?  Did you have that custom made?  My brother is a wood work and was looking to do something like that years ago but got distracted with other projects.

-Robert

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

The pic in the upper right of Peter's post is a 2002 turbo cluster, notice the 240 KPH speedo.  It's not wood like the faux cluster look that are on 74-76 02's but the cluster face is painted that color which is unique to 02 turbo models. 

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Hey Peter, what is the story on that wood dash cover featured in the upper right photo you posted?  Did you have that custom made?  My brother is a wood work and was looking to do something like that years ago but got distracted with other projects.

-Robert

If you have a 1974-76 cluster you can pry the fake wood surround off & your brother can use that as a template to make something nice in real wood!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

• 1 month later...

What is the little button above the brake light? It pushes but I have no clue what it does. I put this in my 76 and I think the silvers look amazing. I had to buy 3 sets to get 3 perfect silvers though. Most are close to perfect but they're so cool looking I don't mind having 2 extra sets. I also got an automatic so I have a clock. I'm gonna mount it into my center console. I think it'll look awesome!

beaefe317c174ef2f7e9f6f808ec40c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Blake Nelson

503-819-9657

Pacific Northwest (Portland)

1976 2002 - 1981 320i

What is the little button above the brake light? It pushes but I have no clue what it does. 

It should illuminate the brake light as a test, assuring you the brake circuit is functioning properly.

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif