• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tool Help: Removing Center Tie Rod

JsnPpp

Hi Folks,

A few months back someone posted the Harbor Freight tool joint separator that worked well to remove the center tie rod on 02's (Number 8):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2583&mospid=47141&btnr=32_0969&hg=32&fg=05

For the life of me I can't find that post! If someone has the link, can they send it on? I've gone through the Search process several times...

I *think* it was referencing this tool from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99849

Has anyone used this tool to remove the front end components on our cars? Hate using the pickle fork and trashing everything (using the beat the joint on the side trick never has worked for me).

Thanks in advance!

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Just spent an hour on the idler arm to center tie rod connection and I was getting pretty frustrated with it. I'm going to try to heat it up (and buy the tool as well)...

Thanks for the reply!

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Just tried said tool- it doesn't work as- is on the center links.

It could be ground to do so, I think, and I'll probably do that,

as I seem to always need to get that connection apart.

But then it won't work on tie rod ends (which it does as it comes out of the box).

What I just found out last weekend,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It's hard to find a pickle fork that just fits the center rod dimensions...

and if it doesn't exactly fit, it won't work.

I have NO idea why BMW made these so hard to get apart-

minor casting changes would have made it so much easier

it's not funny...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks folks!

I'll see what happens after I put a little heat on it.

-Jason

There was another post for a ball joint separator tool from Napa a few months back, I have the napa part # at work, am at home now. I've used all the above at times and air hammer at times. Some are easy to separate, some take forever.

2002 owner since 1980

Last time I did my drag link I got a set of Craftsman pickle forks for use with my air hammer and a friend loaned me his vintage tie-rod seperator for VWs. Seems the older bugs have the same ends as ours. The tie rod seperator will not slip over the ends - it has to slide up the rod in order to fit over the ends, but, since you're replacing the center link anyway I just took my angle grinder and cut the bar in two in the middle, then slid the seperator up to the end. Whole procedure took about an hour, or less. Might try going on one of the VW boards to see if you can locate a seperator, or see what they do.

Bob Napier