• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Performance

Keith02

Thanks for all the input.

The car is , and will remain, stock in appearance. I maybe give the Petronix a try.

]

All the suggestions are good. Modifying your tii's engine will make it faster over a narrower rpm, but at the expense of drivability and reliability. The pump can be recurved using a different fuel delivery cam, but that will take some money and a fair amount of time.

No one's mentioned MSD or Crane XL700 (if you can find one, IE still had them a couple months ago). According to Jeff Ireland, electronic ignition will make a noticable improvement at lower and mid rpms due to making multiple sparks on each compression stroke. At higher rpms, it doesn't matter as much.

As stated elsewhere, keep a set of points ignition in your trunk as backup to get home with. My Crane died and I was glad I had the spares.

Pertronix is electronic points - firing once per piston stroke at all speeds. It just doesn't wear out like points will, so replacing a set of worn points with new Pertronix makes a significant improvement in drivability.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

For my 74 tii, I had the motor rebuilt to tii Euro specs, new pistons with 9:5:1 comp and that was it. Nothing to the cam, etc... Like several persons on this thread said, you can't mess with the fuel delivery system on a tii. Other than getting the motor rebuilt, I have polyurethane bushings, Bilstein sports, Eibach springs, ST swaybars, 5 speed and a LSD. BTW, the exhaust is stock.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

You saw no difference in performance with the super sprint header vs

stock exhaust manifold ?

No difference in the amount of fun i have driving my car. I think the difference was neglibile in comparison with the stock tii setup. With carbs or efi where the 4500rpm range could be adjusted to add more fuel I think you'll see a gain in power at part throttle- but for me lean is fine there.

I would however like to believe that the rest of the supersprint system- res and muffler- are worth getting in terms of a less restrictive setup because I shelled out for it.

The other mod that you could do- and just about the only internal one possible to fit the stock fuel curve- is higher compression pistons. That modification will not affect the fuel curve but it would require higher octane gas and most likely would benefit from have the dizzy re-curved.

You saw no difference in performance with the super sprint header vs

stock exhaust manifold ?

That makes sense- the restriction is after the y- pipe on an

otherwise- stock exhaust...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL