• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem with new IE lightweight starter

FB73tii

I purchased one of IE's new lightweight starters last week but had problems with it from the get go. At first it would not fully release immediately upon starting, then would disengage. Then it began to not engage, so I had to try to start 3-4 times before it would catch enough to turn the engine. I pulled it and regreased the pinion and bench tested it, where it seemed fine, but it got worse as time progressed. It still hung up when it did start. I just talked with Jeff I., he said he would rather give me a full refund than send me a new starter, as it is a new product and he is not yet confident of it and he does not want to keep swapping out parts. This is too bad, because it is very light weight and cranks over quite well when it works properly. Jeff said it is an M20 starter with a retrofitted pinion gear to work with the M10. Any one else get one of these and have it work/not work?

Thanks, Fred

'74 tii

-----------------------------

Starter - M10 - light Weight

m10ltwt starter $110.00

New Product - Light weight high torque starter for the M10 4 cylinder engine. This starter weighs 7.8 pounds. This is a savings of 9 pounds over the standard starter. Also because it is smaller it's much easier to install. There is a $25.00 core charge if you don't return a core starter. Special introductory price.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=338695704&Count2=255836129

-----------------------------

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Hmm...

I have a small- bodied starter from a junkyard 318. When I got it onto the car,

I discovered that the pinion barely engages the drive teeth- by maybe 3/16, at most.

I wonder if that's what's going on....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

You can buy a new Bosch starter part # SR71X, Bosch is putting new S14 permanent magnet starters in the box in place of the early style. It's the same starter for both the M10 4 cylinder & M30 6 cylinder, it's smaller lighter and more powerful.

Doug

I am familiar with the S14 starter and was going to get one, but when IE came along with a 1.4Kw starter at 7.8 lbs for $110 I thought it would be a good deal. I am not familiar with shimming a starter, how is this done? What I am really interested in is if anyone else bought one of these IE starters and if it works for them or they are having problems with it like me. They have only been on the market for a month or less I think. I peruse IE's site regularly and only recently saw them. Thanks.

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

UPDATE: I just spoke with Jeremy at IE and he thinks it is the solenoid. They have only sold a few of these starters so far, but have not had any other problems. He agreed to send me a new one right away. I will report back to the group once I test the new one (Fourth of July weekend at VIR) and let you know how it works out.

Thanks,

Fred

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

don't mean to hijack, but just for clarification about a previous comment... regarding the new SR71X... it is indeed smaller and a bit more powerful, 1.0kw I believe I found... the big original starter (can't remember number) was more like .85kw. First, note that you aren't guaranteed to get the smaller one... I tried BVauto twice, I even sent them a picture and they supposedly went out and looked at it... AZautohaus finally had one for me.

As for the S14 starter, SR440X, it is the smaller AND more costly AND higher powered one at 1.4Kw. As mentioned, ordering this one guarantees you will get the smaller/lighter/more powerful one.

So, I hope Ireland's works out... seems much cheaper than the SR440X, especially since not everyone will allow the old boat anchors as a core.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

I will second that. I just bought a starter from autohausAZ and was pleasantly suprised by alot smaller starter. the only draw back is that the bracket at the front of the starter that bolts into the block cannot be used with the smaller one. I didnt think this was a problem though because the starter was sooo much lighter than the original style.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

Yes, and I am building a high compression engine (12:1+) that may need the extra oomph to start. While the starter itself is only worth about 0.75 HP equivalent (based on my cars weight), every gram taken out of the car improves the power to weight ratio.

Fred, '74tii track

--Fred

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)