• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car just got rear ended, what is she worth if totaled?

pyite20v

Got the car two weeks ago, dropped it off at the mechanic for some work, as he was giving me a ride back in it some lady on a cell phone rear ended me, and that pushed me into the front car.

Rear end is slightly dented, and the front nosepiece is dented as well.

I really dont want to have to total this car as its the perfect one,but I am guessing the insurance will want to.

Its a 76K mile original owner (before me) jade green garage queen. Not concourse, but really nice.

I need to find some comparables so they up the value and either fix it, or pay me enough so I can find a similar replacement.

Any ideas as to what its worth?

So sad right now.

76 Jade Green w/ E21 2.0 - DCOE Weber 40s, 304, 5spd, Stahl>Ansa, Wilwoods, H+R and Bilsteins, and some other fun bits.

p179457832-2.jpg

Mid $20s? Wont they just laugh at me?

How do insurance companies work when replacing these old cars?

Do they go off of NADA, or off what I paid for the car, or what replacement cars go for?

I am thinking its going to be at least $7-8K to find another car in similar shape, if there is one out there. I would be happy with $10k.

76 Jade Green w/ E21 2.0 - DCOE Weber 40s, 304, 5spd, Stahl>Ansa, Wilwoods, H+R and Bilsteins, and some other fun bits.

p179457832-2.jpg

Dont tell them how much you paid -- yet.

nobody ever asked me what $ I had in my car...they just had very little luck figuring out what it was actually worth....and for me, this was beneficial because the only published credible sources are NADA classic.

Make noise, but be professional. Assuming you were not at fault, and you went to the doctor, the adjuster will also give you some money (not a lot) for your basic pain and suffering/soreness. If you have not been to the doctor, go now and establish your condition, get an X ray of your neck, etc. The other insurance co will pay the bills or reimburse you. You need to file a property damage and medical damage claim--you can do this with your company and they will try to help you collect.

I kept mine and I have a multi-year plan to fix it. If you are paying someone to cut metal and paint the car....it will be expensive, and quick.

Feel free to email me thru the forum if you have specific questions.

Good Luck!

-Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

If the car was, as it sounds, in the possession of the shop, the shop's insurance should not have any problem making it right. Your insurance should not be involved, but I suppose it may vary, state to state.

David in Nashville

As others have suggested, it will be in your best interest to provide current and favorable comparables to your insurance carrier. Obviously that will not be necessary if you have a stated value policy. First thing to do is take out your insurance policy and see what it is you actually have. Go on-line as suggested and see what similar models/years have sold for and be sure to check NADA & CPI.

In your initial post you didn't make any mention of being injured yet I see someone suggested filing an injury claim and going for x-rays of your neck. I would not recommend doing that if you have no injury. Claiming injury when not injured would be insurance fraud and I would not suggest being a party to that.

Good luck, the more documentation to support your claim of your vehicles value the better off you will be.

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

69 Datsun SRL 311 Roadster

"Why Johnny Ringo, looks like somebody just walked ova your grave" -Tombstone-Val Kilmer

...In your initial post you didn't make any mention of being injured yet I see someone suggested filing an injury claim and going for x-rays of your neck. I would not recommend doing that if you have no injury. Claiming injury when not injured would be insurance fraud and I would not suggest being a party to that.

quote]

it's not uncommon to not even be aware of soreness until a couple of days afterwards. I don't think the intent was to suggest making a fraudulent claim, but more in the vein of getting checked, getting an x-ray if indicated, and making sure you're in position to put in a claim for any needed medical care. "Whiplash" and other neck injuries can be very mild or quite serious, and getting a medical opinion on your post-accident condition is an excellent idea.....

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

I've been there before. Insurance companies have their own "guide book" (I can't recall the name) internal to the industry. They don't use NADA or Blue Book. However, you can fight their valuation using the NADA guide values as a base. I also provided eBay closed auction results to justify the value. At the time, 2004-5, they were only offering $1500 based on their guide book, but I ended up getting them to pay $6200. It took a month of back and forth and "management reviews". Also, make sure you buy the car back as "salvage" from them AFTER you settle on a "Total out" price, it would only be a few hundred dollars and you can repair it or part out for far more value.

Also keep in mind a few thousand to total out your 02 is a drop in the bucket for them. My boss just had his 2005 530i reapired after a freeway accident with front-end damage, and Geico paid $21,000!!!! to REPAIR it. If you be professional but firm on your requests the managers will eventually throw you a few thousand more than their guide just to get you to stop bugging them.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Yes...I was in no way suggesting that you commit insurance fraud. IF, you were rear ended at any speed your body would have suffered some type of impact, belt to shoulder, arms to wheel, head/neck to headrest (if you have them, I didn't in my 68) -- if any of this activity that clearly was not your fault has any impact on your short term or long term health, loss of work, etc. Do the right thing and go get checked out by a doctor. If you have any bills associated with a doctor visit, prescriptions for pain relievers, etc...this will and should be covered by the insurance company.

--Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

On the subject of body injury, I was rear ended in my E34 525i by a young girl in an older Blazer while sitting at a stoplight. There was minor damage on my car, the rear bumper coover was shattered, and there was a small ding on my trunk lid. I felt fine after the accident, which happened on Thursday morning.

Friday evening my back was a little stiffer than usual, bit I didn't worry about it. Saturday afternoon it was really bothering me, and by that night, I couldn't lay down without pain and was unable to stand up straight. By Sunday I was trying all the Tylenol I could get, with no improvement.

I got my hands on some Tylenol 3, which helped a little. The next day I visited my doctor, who sent me for x-rays, which were negative. I was sent to get an MRI, which showed a herniated bottom disc, L5-S1, and two badly bulging discs above that.

I asked my orthopaedic surgeon about whether the injury could have been caused by the accident, and his reply was "In a court of law, I would have to testify that I did not examine you before the accident, but that your injuries are consistent with the type of accident you described to me."

Bottom line, get your butt to a doctor to be sure you're okay. Back and neck injuries are not always as obvious as mine were, so if you feel any stiffness in your back, arms or neck, get it checked out as it could be something you should be worried about in the future.

vince

Mid $20s? Wont they just laugh at me?

How do insurance companies work when replacing these old cars?

Do they go off of NADA, or off what I paid for the car, or what replacement cars go for?

I am thinking its going to be at least $7-8K to find another car in similar shape, if there is one out there. I would be happy with $10k.

What lousy luck...however, you can come out ahead on this by the sound of it. Probably not a good idea to tell them 10 grand, because honestly it's too low. A 76,000 mile one owner garage queen is a rare bird, so 15 thousand or more is not out of the question. What is in question is whose insurance will be paying. Some companies, the insurance follows the vehicle, others the driver no mattter the vehicle, etc. As to which guide I think it's anybody's guess, but assume they're going to lowball you. Either way aim high and I'll bet you can get enough to fix it like new and have money left over. Best of luck.

-Ben

I had an little accident in my garage 2 weeks ago. Long story, but anyway dented the hood, nose and pushed the bumper back. I turned it in to my insurance, and they sent me to their preferred shop. Told me they would do all repairs and get me a rechromed bumper...2,100.00.

The adjuster said "Why are we fixing an old car? (Mine's a 72). The body guy said it was a very clean car and he should come and look.

After the adjuster saw the car, he cut the check. My car is repaired, looks fantastic, and I could not be happier.

So...if your car is a good example, and not to badly damaged, you may be surprised.

Good luck,

Craig

1972 2002 Sahara
2017 228i

2019 F 250