• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original speaker location?

O2guy

Here is the console. Where on earth did the speaker(s) go in a '73? Nothing special...non-Tii 2002, Behr A/C, manual. Responses like "if you don't know...why did you buy it" and so on can keep it to yourselfs'. I am working on this and could use real answers or places to find them. To those who can...Thanks!!

post-12239-13667601491591_thumb.jpg

post-12239-13667601492711_thumb.jpg

Jim

'73 Malaga #2590259 - almost done!

Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Since the radios were installed as an aftermarket product, you'll see various locations for the speakers. From under the dash, in the doors, and on the parcel shelf. accradios.jpg On many cars there was a speaker in the console.

Here's a good site to look: Parker performance M000108.gif

post-123-13667601493729_thumb.jpg

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

Here is the console. Where on earth did the speaker(s) go in a '73? Nothing special...non-Tii 2002, Behr A/C, manual. Responses like "if you don't know...why did you buy it" and so on can keep it to yourselfs'. I am working on this and could use real answers or places to find them. To those who can...Thanks!!

Hi Jim -

I noticed your console has the radio cutout that's much larger than the stock 2-hole type (universal radio with shafts). Did/are you going to try and put a newer style head unit in that spot?

Also - did you spray anything on the outside to make it darker/shiny? My console (just like yours) needs refreshing. It looks faded. I'd spray it with some SEM dye but don't want to cover up the white A/C instructions.

BTW - I have (4) non-stock speakers in my car. Two under the dash and two in the rear parcel tray.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Go to

www.my2002tii.com

and select "references" from the menu bar.

Download the "euro brochure" from 1974 and look at the installation on page 13.

From 1973 through 1976, USA and Euro have the same installation and location in the console.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Thanks gentlemen...and Lady.

Jim- I didn't do anything to it. Just pulled it out and wet towel'd it. And yes the cutout is real big, but the Blaupunkt radio fits exactly...which is kinda cool.

Mike- Thanks for the collage...I saw my console in there.

It has rear deck speakers and cutouts in the lower kick panels so I guess that's where they'll end up.

Jim

'73 Malaga #2590259 - almost done!

Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I've had a few different 02s with speakers in a few places. I've had rear speakers in the rear deck, smaller ones in little boxes on the rear deck and in cut-outs under the back seat. In the front, I've had them mounted in the center console sides, in cut-outs in the kick panels and under the dash.

The best sound that I've ever heard from rear speakers is with 6X9s mounted in the rear deck. There are some among us who see it as a sin to cut into the rear deck, but the sound really did bounce off of the rear window really well.

As for the front, some are better than others, but I really liked the sound from my friend's 02 with custom kick panels. Someone on the board makes them, but I've heard of people having them made by local speaker shops.

There are a few different designs that angle the speaker in a few ways, but they basically look like this:

interior2.jpg

Kickpanel_D.JPG

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Blaupunkt mono radio had a single speaker mounted in the cardboard underdash panel that fits between the glovebox and pax side cowl. No place in the A/C console (Behr or Frigiking) for a speaker.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite