• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few questions.

GreenBeam

Noob speaking:

Does anyone know the specs for a 1976(I think) 2002?

Does anyone sell a rear disk break kit?

Can I tun the BMW "TURBO" body kit... If so, who sells it? Or, whats the best looking and quality body kit in your opinion?

What are the best run for the buck aftermarket parts to give it that extra boost of power? Also, what should I stay away from?

What is the best suspension setup (for the road)?

Are K&N air filter kits any good? Are there any better intake kits than that?

What octane gas should I run (again, for the road)?

Can I run a turbo kit? If so who makes it? And is it a good idea at all?

I know I've asked alot but to sum it up, I'm basically looking to rebuild my 2002 to perform top notch on the road. Im not looking for extreme power, I just want it all to come together and run smooth and perform well along the highway as well as look good. Also, please list any important aspects about this car, good or bad, what to look for, trouble shooting. IM A NOOB FILL ME IN WITH ALL THE INFO, TRICKS, AND TIPS I NEED TO KNOW!

THANK YOU!

I recently purchased my car (Nov), since then I have learned a bunch, from cleaning up connections and adjusting this or that, to where to find a good engine builder. Most all my answers came from the "Forum Search". try just typing in "engine up-grade" and you will find a ton of stuff. Really, it's the best way. I remember in High school I had a 1965 convertible mustang, I had to call shops in town and look through the yellow pages just to find a spark plug, now you just ...check the web, or...the Forum Search.

Anything you want, all you have to do is try.

Noob speaking:

Does anyone know the specs for a 1976(I think) 2002?

Does anyone sell a rear disk break kit?

Can I tun the BMW "TURBO" body kit... If so, who sells it? Or, whats the best looking and quality body kit in your opinion?

What are the best run for the buck aftermarket parts to give it that extra boost of power? Also, what should I stay away from?

What is the best suspension setup (for the road)?

Are K&N air filter kits any good? Are there any better intake kits than that?

What octane gas should I run (again, for the road)?

Can I run a turbo kit? If so who makes it? And is it a good idea at all?

I know I've asked alot but to sum it up, I'm basically looking to rebuild my 2002 to perform top notch on the road. Im not looking for extreme power, I just want it all to come together and run smooth and perform well along the highway as well as look good. Also, please list any important aspects about this car, good or bad, what to look for, trouble shooting. IM A NOOB FILL ME IN WITH ALL THE INFO, TRICKS, AND TIPS I NEED TO KNOW!

THANK YOU!

Yes, the Search tool is your best friend here. Definitely look there before asking in the General Forum. Otherwise, let me try and help.

I've got a `76 and you can check out a few things on my trifle of a blog www.xanga.com/tx02.

Disk Brakes: Ireland Engineering, Aardvarc and a few others sell rear disk brake kits. However, they aren't the cheapest or easiest to install. While they do provide better stopping power than drums, the cheaper solution is to bolt on E21 320i drums. They certainly improve the braking a lot and, in my opinion, have the best bang-for-your-buck. Depending on the use, they are just fine for street use and a lot of track duty. Also, look up the vented disk brake conversion for the front brakes. Huge gains can be found there with bolt on replacements.

Aesthetics are all subjective. Body kits and other body modifications are up to what you think looks good. BMW added fender flares and matching flush bumpers to the Turbo models to accomodate wider wheels. In my opinion, you can achieve fantastic handling without the need for flares. I just like the stock look with a nice, lowered stance.

As for your motor, search, research and search some more. To be frank, I think that if you have a good, running motor, you should keep from messing with it too much until you learn more about it. Get good and comfortable with the M10 before you start adding anything. However, good bang-for-your-buck additions are electronic ignition (Pertronix or a Crane box) and a Weber 32/36 or 38/38 carb. Throw a 320i radiator in there to keep things cool. Absolutely consider a five speed overdrive transmission from a 320i (`80-82).

Turbos and electronic fuel injection are other additions that some do. Turbos are a bit less common, probably because S14 and M20 swaps are more reliable ways to gain that much power. Megasquirt EFI conversions are getting more common and there are a number of sites that have chronicled such projects. Look at www.finkbuilt.com to get you going.

As for suspension, as with many things (like brakes) on the 2002, the original, stock setup is actually really nice. If you just go with all new stock bushings, springs and shocks, you will have a really nice ride. If you desire more, as I suspect that you will, most common upgrades include better springs from Ireland Engineering, Eibach or Bavarian Autosport, Bilstein HD or Sport shocks and strut inserts, and bigger swaybars from Suspension Techniques or Ireland Engineering.

K&N? Sure, why not? However, that giant, stock air filter breathes really well with a new filter.

Run at least mid-grade gas. Figure out your compression ratio. The stock compression on a `76 is 8.1:1, I think (someone may correct me). Mid grade should be fine. 93 may be overkill.

No one makes a turbo kit. Turbos are often the work of mad scientists with years of engineering and mechanical experience. There are projects out there, but they aren't that common. As previously noted, most people go with an S14 or M20 swap to get excessively increased power because it's more reliable to have a BMW designed motor than a garage designed motor. Parts are cheaper, too.

Good luck with the car. Post pics and start a blog somewhere. We're all glad to answer questions, however, you'll fare better with specific and well-researched questions.

Good luck!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Pictres and breif feedback: They just towed it into my driveway yesterday. It was my dad's but he was clearing out his garadge and that thing hasnt been touched for well over 14years so he ended up handing me the keys. First off, the thing could use some work. For starters, it can use a fresh set of tires, a new batery, carb cleaning, maybe some new hoses, new fluids, maybe a new gas tank, and the turn signal switch is hanging from a wire so that needs tending as well. Basically the whole engine tune up just to get it running for now. For those of you who can spot a few thigs that need work or have any reccomendations based on the pic, by all means, please speak your mind. Of course, let me know what you think of the car too. Thanks again for all your help!

bm1.jpg

bm2.jpg

bm3.jpg

bm11.jpg

bm5.jpg

bm6.jpg

bm7.jpg

bm10.jpg

bm9.jpg

It's a good start! Mintgrun is a rarer color. I hope that you like it!

First of all, start reading. Buy Mike McCartney's book, as suggested. Also, read through ALL of the FAQ articles. Even if you don't plan on doing all of the conversions and projects, it's good to be familiar with them.

Now, on to the car. Start my replacing all the fluids and hoses. Remember the transmission fluid. Give it new points, cap, rotor, filters and sparkplugs. Completely drain, refill and bleed the brakes and clutch. Inspect everything for leaks and lube everything up. Once you have it moving, start replacing suspension bushings, shocks, wheel bearings and such.

When you replace singular items like bushings, shocks and springs, you can just upgrade them individually. When you start replacing non-working brake components, you may want to look at total system upgrade, which is where all that reading will come in to play.

Keep us updated and check the For Sale Forum for a new(ish) kidney grill. Good Luck!

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Welcome to the club. Do all the maintenance stuff before going "hog wild" with modifications. There is a reason why so many of these cars were sold - they are excellent.

If you decide to pull out your A/C system, please contact me - I'm looking for a better console faceplate than my cracked one.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

looks like you're in California? if so, you better get the smog equipment working on that car, or don't bother spending any money on a car you can't register

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Does anyone know how I should go about taking appart the gas tank and checking for scum; cleaning it as well? Thanks again for all the pointers. I'm starting to get the big picture.

Please post your VIN number so we can see what year your car is. Look on top of steering column cover and right side fenderwell near coil.

Does your gas gauge work? If so, make sure you don't have much before messing with the tank.

Open trunk and remove the right side floor cover. Remove the filler neck and all wires/hoses (mark them beforehand). Locate and remove the bolts holding the tank to the trunk floor, then pull the tank out.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

the non-stock stuff i can see are a Weber 32/36 carb with water choke, and radiator is aftermarket but im not sure what its from, and you've got E21 BBS allow wheels (from a 320i).

Yeah, looks like you've got the smog stuff still. If you're not in California, or if its a 74 or 75, then pitch all that stuff. But if its a '76 in California... then yeah, you're in for some research and work to get it to pass smog....

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser