• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 vin question...

xlittlejohnx

So, I bought another 2002 and thought that I purchased a '73, as titled. I looked up the vin, 2533497, and it looks like I have a '72 Automatic. Looking at the floor, it appears to have once been an automatic and I think there was once an "automatic" emblem on the back from the two holes without a badge to cover them. Anyone know where I can research this or possibly have any info? Thanks!

John

'73 2002

'00 M5

Remember that model year and production date are not the same thing. A 1973 model could have been built during 1972. There is a sticker in the engine compartment that states that the car conforms to DOT and EPA regulations for model year 1973 or whatever. For US cars anyway. Your title should have the correct model year.

I might be wrong, but I think that 1973 cars had amber turn signals in the rear lights while earlier cars had red.

I first owned a 2002 in 1975.

Titles can be wrong as well. My 73 2002 is titled as a 72, don't know why, was that way from the PO, and did not seem worth the effort to correct, and it made me exempt a year early from inspections.

My VIN is 2592004, the build sticker on the drivers door (does yours have this still?) is 6/73.

The red signal lights are a bit earlier, like 1968-1970, someone else will be able to be more specific.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Your car is one of the last 100 out of 1471 automatics built in `72, most likely in Dec of `72. It was sold in the US in early `73 and is considered a `73.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

'73 production began with 2533173 in early September '72. It should have the heavy front bumper brackets and the rear bumper spaced about two inches away from the body. Those bumper brackets are unique to the '73 model year US model cars.

A PO has obviously converted it to stick, not an uncommon conversion.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite