• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominations for FAQ Car of the Month for JANUARY '09 CLOSED!

robspeed

I am slightly modifying the rules...

1. You may nominate *yourself* OR someone else for the contest for a single month.

2. Nominations for any given month will open the month prior to that month's contest. Thus, this month we are nominating for January's contest.

3. Nominations will be limited to THREE cars per month.

4. Once we have THREE *complete* (see below) nominations, voting will commence, in the same thread, to keep things simple.

5. Voting will end on the last day of the month, and the winner will be declared and celebrated and showered with praise and confetti for the ENTIRE next month.

6. At the commencement of the FOLLOWING month, we will have another round of nominations. Using this system, we will only have SIX COTMs per year, so its really a car-every-two-months contest. I am doing it this way to avoid overlapping nominations threads and celebration threads, again to keep the top of the board simple and clean (as is possible). This will also make the winning cars all that more special as there will be fewer of them.

7. Nominations must include at least ONE picture, ideally a nice shot. As I have said before, think of this as a photo contest as much as a car contest. More pictures are better and there is no limit.

8. Nominations also MUST include a good paragraph of info about the car, including the owner's name and story *AND* why the owner and car were nominated. Be specific *and* detailed! (As in, Joe bought the car in '06, has been restoring it since, and I like its look and his choice of mods for the following reasons).

9. Nobody can nominate more than one car per month.

10. No car nominated in the previous month (or two-month cycle) may be nominated in the next go-round.

Hopefully, that is all confusing and complicated enough to capture your imagination and inspire your enthusiastic participation in the NEW '02 FAQ COTM contests!

As always winners will recieve a shiny new FAQ sticker, provided by yours truly, until I run out of them... IF YOU WON A PAST CONTEST AND NEVER GOT YOUR STICKER, EMAIL ME. I found the stash, and have stamps! :)

-Rob :)

(p.s. YES, just post your nominations in this thread!) ;)

Well, I was going to wait, but since nobody else has stepped up to the plate I am nominating my close friend Bo Black's incredible red '74 tii. I have many photos of Bo's car, but only a few here at work. None really do the car justice. It's a stunner...a real head turner. This car has won more awards than just about any '02 I know. Bo and his lovely wife Barbara purchased this car in 1981 and used it as a daily driver for many many years. They considered selling the car but Bo reconsidered and decided to have the car painted and keep it. That's where the insanity all began. Externally, aside from the beautiful paint, the car features Euro bumpers and a killer set of Compomotive wheels with custom shells. The interior features classic black Recaros in front with a matching rear seat. The suspension is comprised of H&R springs with Bilstein sport shocks and struts. Urethane bushings are used in all the "normal" locations and an Ireland Engineering front tubular swaybar is used in conjunction with a vintage 22mm solid rear bar. Anybody who's ever followed Bo down a twisty mountain road knows his suspension is set up really well. The driveline features a E21 5 speed OD transmission installed and shifted with the awesome 2002 Haus kit and a fully rebuilt 3.9:1 LSD unit. The engine was fully rebuilt early during the "resto-mod" process. It features forged 10.25:1 compression pistons and a 92mm cylinder bore. The Kugelfischer pump has been modified to function properly with the increased compression and displacement. The exact specifics of the camshaft have never been disclosed to me...Hmmm?? In the works is an Alpina A4 injection system. I can't wait to see it installed! I also need to mention that Bo and Barbara are the gracious hosts of the Mid-America '02 Fest held each spring in beautiful Eureka Springs, Arkansas. www.midamerica02fest.com

Additionally, Bo is the founder of the "True Friends of Alex Von Falkenhausen"...a 2002 driving club / enthusiast group. (One automatically becomes a member by participating in the Mid-America fest or the annual "True Friends" Fall Scenic Drive) If it sounds like I'm nominating the owner as much as the car I guess I am. The car is worthy of COTM status by its own merit...But the car and owner together are what makes this one so special.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

\If it sounds like I'm nominating the owner as much as the car I guess I am. The car is worthy of COTM status by its own merit...But the car and owner together are what makes this one so special.

indeed you have hit the nail on the head. it is all about the owners, and when i watch my poor neglected lil lisa leave on a trailer tonight, i will hang my own head in shame... i will be back, and promise to do better! :) (not that this is about me, just feel shitty about the way my car has suffered under my "care"....) May she find more attention under reggie's roof!

www.reggiesmotorworks.com (BUY your e30 stuff from reggie so he can afford to pamper my lil girl! :))

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I believe it's the weekend of April 24&25 (Fri&Sat). Bo usually posts on the events page here after the beginning of the year. (EDIT!) He's already posted it on the events forum...About halfway down the page.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Guest Anonymous

Okay, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I nominate myself, more specifically my 1976 Chamonix 2002. This car has been in my family since it was purchased by my brother 32 years ago. This is now my second turn at ownership and I am in the process of bringing her back to her former glory. As it is right now, the car is in amazing condition, but a tired engine and some other issues make restoration necessary. Anyway, a beautiful car and a pretty neat story.

02_rear.jpg

02_front.jpg

Well, I was going to wait, but since nobody else has stepped up to the plate I am nominating my close friend Bo Black's incredible red '74 tii. I have many photos of Bo's car, but only a few here at work. None really do the car justice. It's a stunner...a real head turner. This car has won more awards than just about any '02 I know. Bo and his lovely wife Barbara purchased this car in 1981 and used it as a daily driver for many many years. They considered selling the car but Bo reconsidered and decided to have the car painted and keep it. That's where the insanity all began. Externally, aside from the beautiful paint, the car features Euro bumpers and a killer set of Compomotive wheels with custom shells. The interior features classic black Recaros in front with a matching rear seat. The suspension is comprised of H&R springs with Bilstein sport shocks and struts. Urethane bushings are used in all the "normal" locations and an Ireland Engineering front tubular swaybar is used in conjunction with a vintage 22mm solid rear bar. Anybody who's ever followed Bo down a twisty mountain road knows his suspension is set up really well. The driveline features a E21 5 speed OD transmission installed and shifted with the awesome 2002 Haus kit and a fully rebuilt 3.9:1 LSD unit. The engine was fully rebuilt early during the "resto-mod" process. It features forged 10.25:1 compression pistons and a 92mm cylinder bore. The Kugelfischer pump has been modified to function properly with the increased compression and displacement. The exact specifics of the camshaft have never been disclosed to me...Hmmm?? In the works is an Alpina A4 injection system. I can't wait to see it installed! I also need to mention that Bo and Barbara are the gracious hosts of the Mid-America '02 Fest held each spring in beautiful Eureka Springs, Arkansas. www.midamerica02fest.com

Additionally, Bo is the founder of the "True Friends of Alex Von Falkenhausen"...a 2002 driving club / enthusiast group. (One automatically becomes a member by participating in the Mid-America fest or the annual "True Friends" Fall Scenic Drive) If it sounds like I'm nominating the owner as much as the car I guess I am. The car is worthy of COTM status by its own merit...But the car and owner together are what makes this one so special.

One of my all time favorites!

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Super nice car but an even nicer fellow (and his wife Barb is really nice also) Bo is what this hobby we have is all about Below is a picture of him and his car, leading 30 of us through this Ozark hills of Ark this May From what I know, Bo and Barb have put about 50,000 miles on this beauty since they did the ground up resto Winery pick at the 2005 Vintage and it just keeps on going

Photobucket

And here is the same car at Watkins Glen in 2007 (and Chris' Jade Grun too)

Photobucket