• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

air pimp and emissions equipment

beemernatic

My 1976 bmw 2002 does not have the airpump or any of the tubes does anybody have the part numbers for the correct hoses? Also did bmw make 2002 without this equipment installed. The funny thing is my 2002 has the picture inside the engine bay of the air pump and valves but nothing is i9nstalled on the engine? this car wa spurchased in washington and i am currently trying to get the car to pass smog. Does anybody have any advice. The smog tech said i need to install the airpump and all the tubes in order to pass.

Have you just considered slipping the dude at the smog station a $50? I know many people may be shy of attempting to bribe a gov't employee, but I doubt he personally cares whether the car passes or not.

The car has become a secular sanctuary for the individual, his shrine to the self, his mobile Walden Pond. ~Edward McDonagh

There is a 49 state version and a 50 state california version. The sticker, if it still exists tells you what car you have.

There are few Cali board members who can help you out with your questions and get it to pass smog.

From what I hear you can't just "slip a dude a $50" anymore.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

All USA '76 2002's have air injection wether 49 OR 50 state cars. It is the EGR system and Thermal Reactor that is deleted on 49 state cars.

• That being said the air hoses are usually only available from a BMW dealer or Maximillian Importing...
    The air pump is available rebuilt from most auto parts sources.
    The main and adjusting brackets are best bought used from a specialized BMW Dismantaler like Double 02 Salvage in Hayward CA.
    The Air pump diverter valve is very hard to come by and is NLA from BMW

Here are the parts diagrams with all the #s you'll need

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=11_2411&hg=11&fg=50

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=11_2410&hg=11&fg=50

Last but not least you need the correct exhaust manifold with a fitting in the front for the air injection pipe to enter the exhaust stream.

I have many more 74-76 2002 smog parts and opperation answers if you have any more questions...

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Have you just considered slipping the dude at the smog station a $50? I know many people may be shy of attempting to bribe a gov't employee, but I doubt he personally cares whether the car passes or not.

non-complying car past the CA test would be to have an identical car available to put on the dyno, AND find a smog tech that would be willing to risk a huge fine, loss of his smog license, shutdown of the shop where he's working, and possible prosecution to run a test on that car while putting your license & vin #'s in the computer (the emissions dyno's computer is online with a state database during smog checks, and either issues an electronic certificate to the DMV if the vehicle passes or logs a failure if it doesn't).

From what I understand, the CA BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) and ARB (Air Resources Board) run regular "undercover" checks of shops around the state, verifying that shops are complying with state regs - a shop that was caught circumventing smog regs would probably be out of business immediately.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)