• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weve got a dood in the chat room complaining about the ads

norm

Yes, it was me!!! I said I did not like the ads. I don't like all the ads on Ebay either. When will Craiglist be full of ads too I said? I thought the chat on Monday nights was open to opinions and expressions. I was being polite, but I quess I was wrong. I was then attacked by Rob and told that if I did not like the ads, I should just leave the FAQ for ever and go back to Road Fly. Strange, isn't that why people left RoadFly. For the record, I wish the FAQ did not have outside Ads. Sorry Steve K for I have sinned.

Norm

Remember the times when the whole place froze up constantly due to lack of bandwidth for the server?

Remember when most of us didnt donate money to the forum to get more bandwidth, cuz we're cheap bastards?

well, thats where ads save the day! its money to keep the site working and not freezing up. if you don't want them, then donate enough money to pay for the server. most of us aren't gonna do that tho, cuz we're broke or cheap, myself being the former.

so, i'll deal with some ads in the way... so i can still access the wonderful knowledge base that helps keep my old car running...

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Rob expressed his opinions.

As he said, if faq'ers contributed enough to support the server costs, Steve would probably remove the ads.

Perhaps if you were less blunt and had identified yourself as the Norm we all know and love, the interaction would have been more pleasing.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Yes, it was me!!! I said I did not like the ads. I don't like all the ads on Ebay either. When will Craiglist be full of ads too I said? I thought the chat on Monday nights was open to opinions and expressions. I was being polite, but I quess I was wrong. I was then attacked by Rob and told that if I did not like the ads, I should just leave the FAQ for ever and go back to Road Fly. Strange, isn't that why people left RoadFly. For the record, I wish the FAQ did not have outside Ads. Sorry Steve K for I have sinned.

Norm

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Well, Rob's an ass. ;-)

I think he may have been having a bad day as well.

The whole exchange could have been more tactful.

Sorry I missed meeting u at the SoCal show.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray, you're right. But when I was told to like it or leave it, I did not want to identify myself. Yes, I'm half at fault.

Norm

Ray

• Administrators

i wish that i could run the site without the ads. and that was the initial intent when we started the site. I am sorry to hear that you were told that by Rob. That is not the way i treat people's opinions. They are all welcome. I cannot guarantee that i will act on all of them, but i will listen, some times silently.

As for where the money goes, it cost $1700 to host the site for a year. Sorry, but you guys are not spending enough at the store to cover that so i had to compromise. I am a bit disappointed about the ads that are showing up, but at the moment i do not have many options.

steve k

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Don't look at them.

Really, I don't seem to see them as I focus on the content at hand.

The point being ads are needed for many sites to supplement.

The real point is, spend some time clicking on them so the site will bennifit from having them. You don't have to buy anything for the site to gain. Just click on them.

I wonder, if Steve put a little box like:

Annual site cost: $1700

ytd revenue from ads: xxx

ytd sales profit: xxx

ytd paypal contributions: xxx

total ytd revenue:

In the header, FAQers may (or may not) be motivated to donate a little.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Norm

Yep! LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!!

EFF-AYY-QUE!

EFF-AYY-QUE!!

EFF-AYY-QUE!!!!!!

=p

seriously, the way you sounded in the chat was like a peanut gallery punktroll sounding off about something you get for free, then complaining about HOW/WHY you get it for free. i wasnt having a good day that day, i was super tired and extra crotchety, just be glad you weren't caught running across my lawn or i woulda come after you with my cane above my head holding my pants up with my other hand and yelling about damn kids these days... =p

I made the point that steve has been paying for the server costs out of his pocket for YEARS, and it just irked me, having this information--which you probably did not up until that moment (not that it seems to have changed your opinion)-- that someone would complain like you did. by staying anonymous in the chat you also raised my defensiveness. if you told me who you were, our discussion would have gone much smoother.

By saying you could always go to assfly, i was just pointing out that you, me, we all have choices in this world, not always better ones, and we should all be grateful that we have the FAQ, ads and all. I never meant that you should ACTUALLY go back to assfly!! geeze, i am not satan!! ;-p

Now, go click an ad! =p

EDIT: for the record, we left assfly because of the censorship. notice i never booted you from chat and you lurked there for several days afterwards...