• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center Console Fabrication

752dbl02

Not to hijack the thread but did you have a chance to take those pics of the backs of your radios, esty? Let me know if you get a chance. Thanks!

Matthew

i'm home today...i got your last email but haven't been home to check....i'll try to round up a couple today

sorry for dragging my feet work and real life are heck sometimes

is the stock dimensions, side to side, of the old one.

We just extended it to fill the area of the console top to bottom.

We used "furniture connectors" to hold the face to the sides. Those connectors use two parts. You drill two holes into the face of the console, one hole is where there female part of the connector slides into and the other hole allows the "screw" part of the furniture connector to go into. The screw part of the connector goes through the side of the console into the female part and as you tighten it up, it draws the face of the console to the side of the console. The connectors came in a bronze color, just painted them black.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

dunno why the link above to my console isn't working, but maybe try this one:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,308361/highlight,slackey/

I pretty much copied Bill William's and Slackey's builds, with a few small adaptations to hide the screws on the panels. That made mine a bit of a bitch to assemble, but you can't beat the smooth sides!

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

I went to Tap Plastics here in Seattle and found some 3/8 stock (PVC?) that has a texture, similar to the Behr AC console I had.

console.jpg

As you can see, the texture is more than the original but i think it looks pretty good. This is bonded to 3/16 plylwood for strength and rigidity. Small angle brackets are sandwiched to provide mounting for the side panels, dash, shift surround and trans tunnel.

It's very solid and with no sqeaks or rattles after 4 years.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii