• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need your views: LSD and 5 speed transmission

sazan

Hello guys,

I am trying to turn my '73 2002 into a 5 speed. I want your views on the following items and prices:

3.64 LSD: Out from a '83 320i. This originally was on a automatic transmission car. Price $350.

5-speed Transmisson: Out of a 1983 320i (E21). Needs some cleaning. Price $200.

I also have an option to get a 1993 318 parts car. Would any parts be easy to drop into a '73 2002? Engine, transmission with the usual upgrades.

Thank you!

Sazan

Don't know about the 318 parts, although there are plenty of posts about these swaps. Clearly, the 320i 5 speed will work....many have done it. I'm in the process now. It's a bolt-in swap, just need to make a spot in the tunnel for the slave cylinder and relocate the mount. As for the 3.64 and the 5 speed....seems a little short, although once you get it up to speed you oughta be able to haul ass (assuming you make some power) and get pretty good mpg. But I'll bet someone has done it before. 3.91 seems to be the norm for the 5 speed.

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

I have a 3.64 LSD with a 320 5-speed. It works awesome. You don't get the kick off the line (like you would with a 3.91), but it gets going just fine. And supurb mileage too! 30+ on the highway.

BTW, I am running 318 fuel injection on a 2 liter motor.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

Conventional wisdom-

3.91 lsd and 80- 82 5- speed, since the

3.91 balances lower launch revs against a little higher

final, letting you have some acceleration in 5th gear at 60 or better.

Jenn's car has a 3.64 and a 5 speed, and it drops the engine

a bit too low at legal cruising speed. 80's ok, but much lower

and you have to downshift for hills and passing of any flavor.

Personally, I have a spare 4.11 r&p in a trashed diff, and want to

re-gear it into an LSD for my street car. One of these years...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yeah Toby's right I'm running a 3.64 rear end and a 5 speed and need to shift to 4th for any kind of passing below 70-75 mph, I should change it to a 3.91 but my speedo is right on and I kinda like that. A 3.64 would probably be OK if there wasn't any traffic, but hey I live in Seattle.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

for the last 70,000 miles, 6 years. Wouldn't have it any other way. I typically cruise at 70-75mph, ~3200rpm, 28-30mpg.

I have been searching/hoping/praying to get my hands on a 3.64 LSD though, so I'd love to have your current predicament!

The 93 318i has a 1.8L DOHC M42 motor, a totally different animal than the M10 motor. Thier have been 02 owners who have done the M42 swap into a 02 but it is very difficult (a lot of fabrication). Search the archives for more info.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner