• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Helmet Advice

m-racer

My old Bell helmet got snagged at an autox event and I need to buy another. The missing helmet was about 10 yrs old and was not SA rated. Need to buy another one. I wear glasses so a large eyeport and good ventilation are critical to keep from fogging up. Any thoughts? It will be used for driving schools and autox. Thanks.

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Big port for my glasses, nice fit and come in incremental sizes that will any head.

Not cheap, but safety is an area I don't skimp on.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

I've worn Bell helmets for many years. I guess they just fit my noggin. I still have the first full face Bell my folks bought me for riding dirt bikes when I was 6 or 7. I just looked and it has a Snell 70 sticker in it. For some reason I can't throw away my old helmets!

I used a Bell XFM-1 when I raced the open wheel Formula Ford and later the closed wheel BMW M5 and Mustang Cobra SVT. I could never wear an open face helmet even in a sedan.

A few years ago I bought 2001 Yamaha R6 and was in need of a new helmet. I tried on a few and decided on an Arai Quantum F. I really kike the fit and I can wear my sunglasses with it.

You want a helmet that fits properly, nice and snug and is from a reputable manufacturer. The last couple helmets I bought were in the $600-700 range.

I believe if you have a 50-cent head, buy a 50-cent helmet!

Yikes... I just checked eBay and a similar, used Bell XFM-1 like I'm wearing in this photo is currently going for $426.00. I think I'll hold on to my old helmets for a few more years.

post-668-13667597458403_thumb.jpg

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

Despite the unfortunate name, I'm going to try one of the new Bill Simpson

Impact! lids- I've had a couple of M2Pro's, so I'm really

curious to see if the shape is better for my head than the old Simpson was.

I'll post up next week when it comes in. No pictures, tho!

t

post-611-13667597491243_thumb.jpg

post-611-13667597491881_thumb.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL