• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

i want a bigger engine with a 5 spd tranny!

turboninja22

1. BMW S14 engine from a 1988-1991 M3. Will fit using the stock engine mounts. Swap can be VERY expensive.

2. BMW M20B5 from E30 1987? -1991 325i(s). Dan Williams used to make some motor mounts. Dont know if he still does. Most common and best bang for buck swap.

3. BMW M42/M44 engine from 1991 318i(s). Check the project section of the faq. A couple of guys are doing it.

4. Nissan SR20DE(T). From JDM spec 180SX and Silvia. Someone on the project blog is doing this. I want it bad!!

5. Mazda 12a or 13b Rotary. From FB, FC and FD RX-7. Engine is small, light, and the exhaust exits on the same side as the 2002. Wicked!

6. Honda F22 and F22C from 2000-? S2000. Again check the project section, some one is doing this too. 9000 RPM = FUCK YEAH!!

In the end it comes down to how great you weld and how fat your wallet is. Good luck!!!

P.S. And please, for the love of all thats holy, DO NOT do this to your 2002!!

post-8428-13667597267565_thumb.jpg

post-8428-13667597268991_thumb.jpg

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

1. BMW S14 engine from a 1988-1991 M3. Will fit using the stock engine mounts. Swap can be VERY expensive.

2. BMW M20B5 from E30 1987? -1991 325i(s). Dan Williams used to make some motor mounts. Dont know if he still does. Most common and best bang for buck swap.

3. BMW M42/M44 engine from 1991 318i(s). Check the project section of the faq. A couple of guys are doing it.

4. Nissan SR20DE(T). From JDM spec 180SX and Silvia. Someone on the project blog is doing this. I want it bad!!

5. Mazda 12a or 13b Rotary. From FB, FC and FD RX-7. Engine is small, light, and the exhaust exits on the same side as the 2002. Wicked!

6. Honda F22 and F22C from 2000-? S2000. Again check the project section, some one is doing this too. 9000 RPM = FUCK YEAH!!

In the end it comes down to how great you weld and how fat your wallet is. Good luck!!!

P.S. And please, for the love of all thats holy, DO NOT do this to your 2002!!

Great post. Summed it up nicely! Well done.

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I would go for the rotary, I would prefer a nice 20B with PP but thats for a race car! A good 13B turbo would be pretty good but again its hard to find something that is a straight swap. Motor mounts are easier than wiring loom!

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

One more...

Try increasing the displacement on your M10.

Best fit possible and will fit all the "mounts and stuff" with no clearance issues.

By far the easiest, pretty cheap and a superb option. s14 block's are about 400 bucks bare, s14 evo cranks occasionally come up 2nd hand (iro 600 bucks) and match it all with custom pistons from Ireland (again about 600) and you have whatever compression ratio you want, 2.4 litres and a huge wallop of torque. I'm amazed Norm seems to be the only one that's gone down this road. The engine will cost a few more quid than buying a m20 but you can then put it in the car in an afternoon without any modification. MS or twin side drafts, whatever.

I'd love a daily driver with something like this.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

One more...

Try increasing the displacement on your M10.

Best fit possible and will fit all the "mounts and stuff" with no clearance issues.

By far the easiest, pretty cheap and a superb option. s14 block's are about 400 bucks bare, s14 evo cranks occasionally come up 2nd hand (iro 600 bucks) and match it all with custom pistons from Ireland (again about 600) and you have whatever compression ratio you want, 2.4 litres and a huge wallop of torque. I'm amazed Norm seems to be the only one that's gone down this road. The engine will cost a few more quid than buying a m20 but you can then put it in the car in an afternoon without any modification. MS or twin side drafts, whatever.

I'd love a daily driver with something like this.

i want to consider this for when i do my stroker, but matching an e12 head to an s14 block with an evo crank could be a problem couldn't it? wouldn't the head really limit the breathingwith just 8 valves?

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

slap one like that in and your are done.

Nothing beats the torque of a turbo.

true Pat, true, but nothing beats the linear delivery of a NA engine.

Maybe. However with a correctly sized turbo, the torque and power delivery is a lot more exciting....

post-15549-1366759731581_thumb.jpg