• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust banging

ChuckR

hi, has anyone experienced exhaust play enough to bang against the gas tank and spare tire well (and even the resonator again the floor) going over bumps? my original hangers, on the car, had been cut off by the PO, but i was able to make something up. there just seems to be way too much play or the hangers are too lax.

thank you, Chuck

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

engine excessive movement and the whole exhaust not adjusted properly are usualy the cause...as well as bad hangers.

good luck.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

just get all new rubber hangers, they're pretty cheap actually. they fit very tight and restrict movement. don't forget the 2 white plastic inserts if you're missing them.

they should be at maximillian ( bimmer.com )

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

thanks for all input. i do have the correct tranny support and all new hangers and those white plastic inserts. could be the engine mounts, haven't really investigated how worn out those are. i did bend the exhaust tabs a bit to center it and it seems to help a bit.

chuck

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

A couple of thoughts from my recent muffler install: get the factory rubber mounts. They're reinforced with a nylon belt. The aftermarket plain rubber ones are too stretchy.

As mentioned, rotation is important. Rotating at the downpipe/center resonator will get the right clearance with the trannie tunnel and the saddle bend over the subframe. Then you can adjust the muffler for the right clearance to the rear valance/trunk floor (thinking about the pre-'75 right-side tailpipe exit, can't remember on the center exit.)

The factory exhaust fits better and is less touchy in terms of rotating into place. If your exhaust lacks hangers anyway, might as well replace it with OE.

HTH,

--Steve

'73 2002tii Agave green #2763558