• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are '02's getting more expensive to buy + maintain?

OldSkool

i think a lot of it depends on location, with the west coast being lowest cost for cars.

condition is a better determining factor on price. run of the mill cars are very affordable. prices are increasing for the better daily drivers with minimal to no rust.

beaters can be had in the neighborhood of $500-800 if you are patient.

parts prices have been going up, unfortunately.

on a good note, basic mechanical parts: brakes, bearings, most gaskets are still reasonable. but, keeping rain out of these cars requires ever more increasing cash outlays on rubber parts....

not being obsessed with perfect trim will help reduce cash outlays.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Seems to me that prices are going up, both for the cars themselves and for the parts.

Am I wrong?

Tell me what industry has not been effected by transportation; AKA fuel charges, and material cost increases. Have you seen how much an avacado costs lately.

Compare your water bill from the past two years if you live anywere but the great lakes region.

Its getting one step closer to having to pay for the air we breath so don't hold your breath that costs will go back down. No more are economies of scale in favor of the consumer.

post-2154-13667594775756_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

Seems to me that prices are going up, both for the cars themselves and for the parts.

Am I wrong?

Tell me what industry has not been effected by transportation; AKA fuel charges, and material cost increases. Have you seen how much an avacado costs lately.

Compare your water bill from the past two years if you live anywere but the great lakes region.

Its getting one step closer to having to pay for the air we breath so don't hold your breath that costs will go back down. No more are economies of scale in favor of the consumer.

Good Lord! Why not just drink the Kool-aid now, and in November vote for "change you can believe in"

PFFT!

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

I don't think so, necessarily,

when you compare them to the market in general.

We have 4 or 5 different types of cars-

2002's, 60's Nissan, 60's Volvo 80's Japanese and 90's Japanese.

The parts for all of these cars are staying the same

relative to each other

Some things get cheaper, some more expensive,

and some suddenly become unobtanium (like Volvo countershaft bearings)

And then some parts miraculously return to market at reasonable

prices after we've all spent silly money to get one or 2.

I DO think everything has gone up relative to my income.

That part stinketh.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL