• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rev limiter

cam1602

What are the older M10’s using for a Rev limiter? My application is a dedicated budget track car. We are going to race the car in the 24 hours of Lemons so a low cost option is important.

TIA for your input

Never too late to have a happy childhood

How can I tell which distributor I have. The current one does not have a vacuume line? I was told that it is a TII mechnical advance but do not know enough about these cars to determin what I really have. If there is an interna rev limiter, is it adjustable? What is the RPM setting? The car is a miss-mash of diferent years and parts.

Thanks for your feedback.

I believe that a ~73tii rotor will get you the rev-limiting rotor, slips right in. I never messed around with it too much, but bending things should make it somewhat adjustable.

Mine came in at ~6500rpm, when I did use it, and it is ABRUPT. Nasty.

Now, I just shut off all fuel at 7200rpm. Done. Works well.

Iain

http://2002ad.com/storeworks/category.cfm?id=13

Scroll down to see the two different types of rotors. Their misspelled centrifugal rotor is the rev-limiting one.

That price looks a bit high though, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

I don't think its that bad of a cut-off, its similar to the factory rev-limiter on my miata. Its a bit scary the first time, but it grows to be your friend. You can bend it a little to modify it, but its not exactly precise to do that.

I ended up taking mine out and keep it in my toolbox as a spare or to throw in when a stupid friend autocrosses my car and I don't trust them.

I could probably drop it in a box and mail it if you want, but I can't guarantee any lifespan since it was in my car.

Oh, and usually you can identify the distributor by the last three digits on the case. It should be an 008 I think, and you can do a search on finding the proper parts for that dizzy.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

My new Bosch 0231 188 002 distributor came equipped with a rev-limiting rotor (not sure of the RPM - maybe 6600). I got the assembly from Pelican Parts last year. Their P/N was 12-11-1-271-726.

Sorry for the blurry pic - I had just bought the camera.

Here are the Bosch numbers stamped on the parts:

Distributor housing: 0231 188 002 JFD4

Rotor: 1234 332 208 6600

Cap: 1235 522 056

Dust shield # 1230500 147

post-8235-13667594072565_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667594074285_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks, think that helps a lot. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I check what I have.

I normally race a Spec Miata in SCCA, Vintage BMWs are really cool and looking forward to this race but the Miata seems EZer to work on, maybe I'm just more use to it.

Again, thanks

Thanks, think that helps a lot. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I check what I have.

I normally race a Spec Miata in SCCA, Vintage BMWs are really cool and looking forward to this race but the Miata seems EZer to work on, maybe I'm just more use to it.

Again, thanks

ah, a fellow miata guy. Mine was mainly used for autocross in CSP. After working on both cars for years... I kinda loathe working on the miata. My 92 miata is way rustier than my 02 for one thing, but also the miata has way less room under the hood. The 02's engine bay is wide open and easy to quickly diagnose and fix anything.

I suppose a spec miata would have less extra crap to deal with, though.

The miata also has a way more complex suspension with far less room to work, but that added complexity is worth it though when you go into a corner. I just never want to change the shocks in one again...

In the end, I just prefer the vintage feeling, bottom end power, practicality, and more subtle looks of the 02.

Any chance you might have a spare 1.6L power steering pump sitting around? If you can throw one in a box and send it over, I'd gladly send over a rev-limiting rotor and any other spare crap i got sitting around that might be used for backup on the LeMons car (but I really don't have much).

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Any chance you might have a spare 1.6L power steering pump sitting around?
I do not but will ask around. I think they are the same from 90-97. Do you need the whole mounting bracket or just the pump? Most of the Spec Miata guys just toss them. My car came with manual steering from the factory. I auto-x'ed it from 92 - 00 then converted it to a dedicated track car.
I've got a brand new rev limiting rotor you can have on the cheap.

How much and how do I get a hold of you? Do not see how to send a PM to exchange e-mails and phone numbers. I'm located in Texas, so mailing it should be a couple of bucks.

Attached is a pic of the Lemons 1600-02 (still Work In Progress)

post-12375-13667594104314_thumb.jpg

I do not but will ask around. I think they are the same from 90-97. Do you need the whole mounting bracket or just the pump? Most of the Spec Miata guys just toss them. My car came with manual steering from the factory. I auto-x'ed it from 92 - 00 then converted it to a dedicated track car.

I only need the pump, but its no big deal. There's usually numerous ones on ebay. But I don't like the hassles of ebaying very much, so I haven't gotten around to it.

Bring a Welder

oog, that rotor's really primitive.

Summit sells a limiting switch for $60 that would be... well, funny, if not effective!

I use an MSD 6al, but that's not a lot of help...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL