• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"The Stance Thread"

oz_tom

^... that M3 has a very mild wheel setup, lots of gap, minimal camber, etc. Probably could be really functional actually if the spring rate and other variables are adjusted correctly..... they could have at least found a car that was stanced to a point that it's not functional on the road like mine....

Heist, how's the motor swap going?

Pretty good. Life got in the way... between school and work I had zero time, only a few projects left really. I'm finishing up the exhaust this week. After that I need to finish the front brake lines, temp sensor problem, and get a custom driveshaft and I should be ready to at least drive down the street. Really having a great time with the exhaust, learning a lot and it's coming out pretty good:

7.jpg

14.jpg

I update my instagram quite frequently if you want to follow the build. Username: heistx

and because this is the stance thread:

2961.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Before:

Took this with my iphone on Christmas day.15x7 et 35, 5mm spacers in front, 195/45s, short bodied coilovers in front with 8 inch 300 lb springs, 250 lb springs in the rear. IIRC it measures 27.5 inches from the beltline trim in the rear, and 27.25 inches in the front.2002%26mango.jpgNext step is camber plates up front, camber adjustment in the rear, and rear coilovers. The front won't go any lower without adjusting the camber and the rear is cambered in pretty far.

After:

s144.jpg

s144.jpg

Edited by mikeb
  • Like 1

I should add, the new wheels are 16x7 et24 BBS RS 039 with 195/40 federal 595. The front is coil overs using 300# springs and project silver camber plates with the coils all the way down and the camber set to 11. The rear is 8" 300# springs with two dot rubber mounts and no camber adjustment. The front is going to get 350# springs soon and the rear may be raised a 1/2 inch or so. I'm also waiting on 1/4 height center caps before I put the centers back on, but I sort of like the exposed lug look.

I haven't posted any recent pictures of my M42 car in quite awhile. Somebody thought my silly 02' was worth taking a picture of at this morning's cars and coffee, so here's the first decent picture of it.

zM7UJSc.jpg

Just your standard 15x7 ET25 Kosei K1's with 195-50 S-Drives. I've got a GC coilover kit with 350# springs in the front, and some miscellaneous springs that I had found at a friend's shop in the rear. I'd like to go with GC's rear coilover kit in the near future, but I'm curious to see what the balance will be like when I get it out on track in the near future.

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

Are you guys getting fixed camber plates or adjustable camber plates for the front when you install your coilovers?

One of the main benefits of the coilovers is that they allow you to run the smaller diameter springs thus making the camber plates more effective.  If you didn't want all that negative camber, there wouldn't be much point in making the conversion.

One of the main benefits of the coilovers is that they allow you to run the smaller diameter springs thus making the camber plates more effective. If you didn't want all that negative camber, there wouldn't be much point in making the conversion.

For posterity....With the right combination of parts you can get nearly 4degrees of negative camber without resorting to coil overs.

Fixed plates and offset bump steer spacers alone will net you nearly 3 degrees.

Edited by AceAndrew

Skimmed through all the pages tried to read everything, saw a couple guys running 8.5" wide. I plan to run IE Turbo Flares, and looking at some 15x8.5 et 17 wheels. With the turbo flares, it looks like 15x8 et0 witha  225 works...

not objected to cutting inner wells after flares are installed. plan to run as much rubber as i can too.

anyone running 8.5" wanna chime in to let me know how much is needed to clear front struts up front? i'd like to do 8.5" square all around with 245 in rear and 225 up front...

plan to run shortened full GC coil over kit with camber plates, and decent camber for it will be a track/autox car

Am i pipe dreaming? 

pics would be awesome too!!!

Edited by 2902TBeeDee

Any advice......will a 15x8 et14 rear wheel work? Willing to roll and pull if needed, just dont want to go to a flare. What type of camber adjustments would I be looking at?

I currently have h&R sports all around but I am looking to go lower, likely a GC conversion kit up front with billi sports front and rear, the rears are what really concern me. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a set of BBS RM's dangling in front of me

"Lily" 1973 BMW 2002

"Frau" 2006 BMW X5 4.8is 

Any advice......will a 15x8 et14 rear wheel work? Willing to roll and pull if needed, just dont want to go to a flare. What type of camber adjustments would I be looking at?

I currently have h&R sports all around but I am looking to go lower, likely a GC conversion kit up front with billi sports front and rear, the rears are what really concern me. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a set of BBS RM's dangling in front of me

Even on a rolled fender, ET14 is most likely going to be about 4mm too much in the rear.  ET18 is known to work for an 8" wheel.

• Like 1