• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedal Design

Colin

This sounds a bit strange, but I need to get some feedback on this.

With the way the brake, and to a lesser extent, the clutch or designed on the 2002 feel a bit weird to me. Because they are floor mounted and feel very "vertical" I notice that I tend to really step on the top of the brake pedal. By this, I mean that the ball of my foot sort of just rest on the top edge of the pedal instead of being pressed flatly against the surface. This same thing happened to me with all my aircooled VWs and I would always wear out the pedal pad at the top right corner.

Furthermore, I find that the brake pedal design makes heel+toe moves a bit difficult. I'm 6'1" and have a 10.5 shoe, so this could have something to do with it.

Is this just me?

Has anyone redesigned the pedals for better heel+toe action?

i don't have any problems with heel+toe, but i catch your drift on the clutch pedal. my foot never seems to be really flat with it, and sometimes it gets tired- even though my pedal feels soft as butter

1969 2002 Automatic "Pumpkin"

3rd from me. My foot normally is never on the floor when using the brakes or clutch. hmmmm

1985 e28 w/LS1/t56 and a bit more...

1970 2002 w/ m42 swap

-Contact me for m42 mounts or e28 ls1 mounts-

www.classicdaily.net

I've never even thought about it, it felt normal. Maybe its a European thing? Heel & toeing isn't a problem either but i only have size 8 feet (UK not sure what that is in US terms).

That guy in that vid was good (and yes nice pedal set up!) but he looks amateurish when compared to these guys;

Left foot braking

Great videos! The left foot stuff is scary on the streets. I've tried it a bit but I think its just not a good idea in SF...

This is not as impressive as your videos, but here is Senna showing off the Acura NSX in Japan.

I like the pedal layout on this car.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A8-zbfdPfRg

My size 12s are a pain ESPECIALLY since the 5-speed went in and I lost some room in the footwell. I have to drive with the narrowest shoes possible or I'll do weird stuff that makes me look like a 15 year-old learning to drive.

However, my 12's are great for heel-and-toeing (or ball-of-foot-outside-of-foot-ing)

Matthew

Chastity: the most unnatural of sexual perversions.

74 tii, 99 BMW R1100R, 99 E320, 01 S4 Avant

I had an auto converted to 5spd. I didn't have any problem heel-toe.

I held my heel low, on the ground while gassing and nearly vertical while braking - but I'd have to lift it to brake hard. I kept my toes pulled upright to have my toes and ball of foot flat against the whole brake pedal. I would hit the accel by swiveling my right foot over so the edge of my shoe under the bridge of my foot would touch the accel. I didn't actually use my heel, just the side of my outer bridge, near my toes. THat's where the accelerator and the brake pad met in distance from the seat (versus the bottom of the accel that is closer to the seat and makes for a really awkward heel toe if you try to do it low.

My calf was burnt after any long drive from keeping my ankle at 90 degrees while gassing and braking, but I found that the pedals are really close together, so it makes hell-toe very easy if I positioned my foot so I didn't need to use my full heel.

My feet are size 9.5 and I wear "lifestyle" walking shoes. Your basic 1975 asics.

Ok, see in the video of Walter Rohl 1:34. If you look close you can see him roll his ankle over about 3 times. He's hitting the accel there with the outside of his bridge. That's what I was talking about. That's how I do it. Not like I'm pro. I actually thought my way was wrong since I don't use my heel.

Ok, see in the video of Walter Rohl 1:34. If you look close you can see him roll his ankle over about 3 times. He's hitting the accel there with the outside of his bridge. That's what I was talking about. That's how I do it. Not like I'm pro. I actually thought my way was wrong since I don't use my heel.

Yeah I have seen others do this as well. I think I need different shoes. I usually drive in some nike running shoes but the soles are sort of wide with little blocks on them.

Couple of thoughts on this one.

First, and obviously, there is some adjustment to the angle of the clutch pedal (and brake to a lesser degree) - so it's possible to lean them back a bit more if you are straight-up or even tilted top-towards-you.

Secondly, you might want to try on a pedal set instead of the rubber/plastic OEM pedals. I've got the OMP Model 1020's and love 'em - never any slipping or wear to deal with. But for additional assist in heal-and-toeing, you might want to check out their Model 1010s. (See pics).

HTH,

Tom

post-1565-13667589275466_thumb.jpeg

post-1565-13667589275953_thumb.jpeg

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

One of the problems I have in my 02 is the length between the pedals. I'm 6'5' and wear size 14 shoes. Sometimes when I hit the clutch I also hit the brake pedal by accident. It happens more times then I would like. Ive also tried to "heel and toe" but I think my foot is too big. Does anyone have any advise on how to deal with this?

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Couple of thoughts on this one.

First, and obviously, there is some adjustment to the angle of the clutch pedal (and brake to a lesser degree) - so it's possible to lean them back a bit more if you are straight-up or even tilted top-towards-you.

Secondly, you might want to try on a pedal set instead of the rubber/plastic OEM pedals. I've got the OMP Model 1020's and love 'em - never any slipping or wear to deal with. But for additional assist in heal-and-toeing, you might want to check out their Model 1010s. (See pics).

HTH,

Tom

Great stuff, Tom. Do these bolt on top of the existing pedals? Or do you cut away the existing flats on the pedals and then bolt these on?

I've been playing with the pedal angles but haven't settled on one yet.

I thought that is how everyone heeled and toed and it was just called that because "heel and right hand side ball bit" was too much of a mouth full.

I love that vid of Senna, that fact that he has got some loafers on and not racing boots makes it even better!

Wasn't allowed behind the wheel of the family POS A/T Ford Granada until I mastered the VW. Didn't care about the Ford, but Dad obviously wouldn't let near the BMW either until I could manage the VW without destroying the clutch.

anyway, I wonder if the clutch or brake pedal could be bent a bit to give them a wider set?

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R