• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'76 02 Owners: Brake Warning Light Solved!

fwardell

To all my 1976 2002 colleagues: you might find after a brake fluid change or brake work, when the brake fluid is bled, your red brake warning light on the dash stays on. You've checked the parking brake, fuel tank level, brake fluid level, and feel sure the master cylinder is good, i.e., even pressure in both sides. The light is still on! So, now you want to look at the pressure switch piped to the M/C - it looks like a mini-M/C with two hard lines leading in and two out. There is an electrical switch with several wires. Between the wires on the switch is a little rubber-covered reset switch. Push it and problem solved! Feel free to remove the black electrical tape covering the light on the dash! You may have to remove the charcoal cannister to get to it. Thanks to Mike in Beaverton OR for this tip. Apparently, this only affects '76s.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

solved the problem. Those switches are USA 76-unique and are not well known.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the search function is a wonderful thing. Mike in Ohio answers this question every 6 months or so. Thanks again Mike and glad the red light is out. I guess I'm watching the red light come on against the Red Wings and I'm getting red light fever. Go Wings!

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!