• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flaired fender picture request

Yo tepe. I have some questions about where you cut and what the final product looks like. I have some mk1 wheel arches and am dying to put them on. I really hope you look at this post.

- Bern.

NEED HELP WITH WEB STUFF!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Bern

"If ur not scraping, ur not low enough" dumpedDAILY

--------

02 BMW M3 SMG - R.I.P.

99 BMW 540it - Wife's car

73 BMW 2002 - SR2002

08 BMW X5 4.8i - Wife/family car

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
Matt, I agree!! I think the Grey Alpina flares are the nicest looking!! Let me ask you guys out there would you do that to a rare 2002 Convertible? (I'm asking cuz I have one and I want to get peoples opinion)

Other than that, I'm considering buying another '02 and leaving the 'vert body stock...

Well there are (or at least have been) flared convertibles. Take a look for yourself and carefully consider if you may wanna do this to your car. Sorry for the sometimes poor picture quality, some are scans from really old photos).

This one I´ve only seen once - backlights from E30:

cabriobreite30rl21srmd.jpg

cabriobreite30rlnppug.jpg

One of the "blue twins", should have M20 if I remember right:

vollcabriolangenbergeqnphm.jpg

vollcabriolangenberges6pmm.jpg

This is Roland´s car (second of the "blue twins"), should be still existing, have seen it last time about 4 years ago when I paid him a visit.

vollcabriolangenbergl6xqbp.jpg

vollcabriolangenberglx7q1z.jpg

This is Edgar´s targa, still existing, S14 engined.

m3targaedgarvornr0pfp.jpg

m3targaedgarhintenr4rrn.jpg

Regards, Lars

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

rabbit02.jpg

flared02.jpg

IMHO, these are the 2 nicest examples of subtle flarework. The blue car utilizes VW Rabbit rust repair arches (which I cannot seem to find), and the grey car, from what I gather, is utilizing original steel Alpina lip flares, which are impossible to find. Note that DAPBMW sells fiberglass replicas of the lip flares, but they are slightly different than the grey car shown in the picture.

Matt

Hi Matt,

on the blue car at least the front fenders do not have Golf (or rabbit) arches imho. If you buy complete aftermarket Golf front fenders, cut out the wheel arches and weld them in 02 it looks like this (Franz´s S14):

franzm3golfradlaufz5lyw.jpg

franzm3golfradlauf2wtacy.jpg

If you take the repair metal sheets for 2-door Golf rear wheel arches it looks somehow like on this car in the rear (those are slightly wider):

franzm3golfradlauf31ujf7.jpg

Small Alpinas (if there are some on the grey car they are not mounted in the right height) do look like this:

kleinealpinagrommisch7xlz8.jpg

Scan from catalogue from Frankfurt´s former Alpina parts dealer Grommisch from the early 80´s.

kleinealpina01uqlke.jpg

US car - should be known on your side of the pond.

kleinealpinajager4pz0i.jpg

Juergen´s car.

In the 70´s the first small Alpinas were made from metal. In the 80´s they switched to producing them from fiberglass. And it is really not a problem to get those flares - you can still buy them new at Alpina. They´re a bit pricey though.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

I'll throw some in here.

Draco02's flared Tii. Can't remember if the flares were OEM or IE, but the front obviously is OEM.

letran7final.jpg

Believe this gentleman is on here. (For the life of me I can't remember his name).

IMG_0576.jpg

Matt Rose's Gulf VARA racer (Ronin Autowerks) with IE box flares

IMG_0541.jpg

IE turbo flares on a GROMA car prior to paint.

irelandengineering12-9-10groma023FINAL.jpg

Another GROMA car with IE turbo flares

P1010199PSsig.jpg

IE Alpina flares, on a car some of you in northern California and the northwest will recognize.

IMG_1942.jpg

Hear's mine. I would still like to bubble the center of the flair up 2" the car could run lower but the rules say I can't flair into the hood.

John

John,

Schnitzer did that with some of their smaller Gruppe 5 type kits. Not into the hood though.

nellorothinten91vpo.jpg

Regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.