• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 vs '72 in Compatability

sublimefan187

I have a '74 that is all but a parts car, and am in the process of picking up a '72. Both are non-Tii's. How much compatability is there between the two years minus the obvious differences. Most importantly is the compatability of trunk lids. Any help is good help. Thanks Mates, and have a great Thanksgiving.

Chris

Ok, trunk lid is the biggie, as the '72 I am looking at is in far worse shape than the one off my '74. Anything else you guys can help out with is appreciated. I am in the process of figuring out what I am willing to part with and what I should keep for the sake of spares for the '72. Cheers mates.

Regards,

Chris

As Bill said the 74 lid will have the roundel on it, meaning it has the attachment holes in it. The 72 will have the roundel on the rear panel. so by swapping them you will end up with a 72 with 2 roundels and a 74 with none.

My 72 has a 74 lid. I took the rear panel roundel off and put two little plastic plugs I got at the hardware store in the holes to keep the rain out. It will work until I get around to painting it. Then I'll fill the trunk holes and put the roundel back in its original location. Two roundels was a little overkill for me.

nose panel, grilles

rear body panel, trim & tail lights

dashboard (2 piece on 72, 1 piece on 74, but they will fit each other, just not original)

steering wheel

wiring harness

steering column controls (T/S lever is on the right on a 72, on the left on a 74)

If the 72 has a 3 lever heater, the heater controls

dash-mounted wiper switch on 72 won't work on the 74

interior upholstery (different colors and patterns)

carpets (1 piece on the 74, many pieces on the 72)

lower steering column surround if the 72 has a 1 bbl Solex w/ manual choke

emission controls, pieces, vacuum lines etc

exhaust manifold

front seat recliner mechanism

door sill treads (74 has, 72 doesn't)

wheels and hubcaps (4.5x13" w/ full wheelcovers on the 72; 5x13" styled wheels with little center caps on the 74)

"2002" emblem on rear body panel has a flat back on the 72; it's curved on the 74

bumpers, mounts and grommets

That's about all I can think of right now; I'm sure there are other detail differences

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

are fairly small parts. Big important chunks, like the engine, tranny, driveshaft, diff, suspension, front & rear subframes etc are all the same.

BTW, here are a few more items I missed the first time

instrument cluster (gauge faces are different, also the "petrowood" gauge surround on the 74)

road springs (74s are an inch or so taller than the 72s)

headlight retainer rings (chrome on the 72, black powder coat on the 74, but the headlight buckets themselves are the same)

Quarter window latches

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I believe the fuel pumps and distributors will be different. The fuel tank in the '74 is probably the bigger capacity - different level sender, different connection at filler neck.

Obviously the bumper mounts are different, and the trunk floor structure is different. Exhaust exit in center vs. right rear corner?

-Karl

'73 '02 

This is all great stuff guys. I really appreciate the assistance. I finally got the engine yanked out of this body yesterday. She didnt want to come out, but really had no choice. We did more body damage than good, I guess it would be a different story if we were keeping the car. Does anyone know whether the front valance is interchangable? Mine is cleaner than the '72. I was thinking about just cutting that out and bringing it to a body guy and telling him to cut the bad one out of the '72. Cheaper than repairing I would think.

Regards,

Chris