• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sort of bad day yesterday (sorta long,so was yesterday)

bobthomas

#1) I had to pay quarterly taxes. #2) I took the M2 to VIR for the weekend with the Tarheel BMWCCA for a HPDE. That part of the world is under severe drought conditions,no significant rain for months, until last Friday. Rain make dry grass very,very slippery. First lap Sat. am I turned in a bit early on turn 17,didn't recover,went straight off into the grass & toward the tirewall. On the grass the car was absolutely unresponsive. The tirewall won. Some of you don't like big bumpers and I think the small bumpers are prettier but my ugly big bumper did a fine job. Driver's side front fender was dented a little bit & pushed back enuff to keep the driver's door from opening very far. Lost the leading edge hod chrome molding & there's a little damage to the sheepmetal above the grills. I was able to drive the car 115 mile home to pick up the M3 to track the rest of the weekend. Things could have been much worse. Unless I find some scary damage or my headlites have been knocked way out of line, I plan to still have the car at Concours de Graylyn next weekend. I may forgoe the Friday track day at VIR. You may see WTB in the for sale section for big bumper shocks etc in the near future. Just remember,KEEP OFF THE GRASS. I don't know how to avoid #1.

I spent my 1st 36 yrs. in Western Oregon, so I know a little about driving in the rain. I raced, autocrossed, time-trialed, and instructed many times in the rain, mostly in 356 Porsches. The most dangerous time is the first rain after a long dry spell. The dirt comes to the road/track surface as mud, accumulated oil deposits float to the surface, and it's a very slippery time. Having said that, though, it's good to remember that your car won't do anything in the rain it won't do in the dry- it just does it sooner. Physics doesn't change. Sorry about your dings, but, I too, swear by the protection afforded by the big bumpers.

Bob Napier

You may see WTB in the for sale section for big bumper shocks etc in the near future.

I have a pair of aluminum bumpers with shocks (about 4 years old) sitting in the basement. You can have whatever you need from them for postage. There are some pics here when I was trying to give them away a while back:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,293324/highlight,/

I'm in Charlottesville VA. email me if you're interested.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us