• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

early seat belt orientation

BLUNT

im having a hard time because i have pieced together the best of what i have and nothing is correct. i have late rear side panels with no holes for the shoulder belts. im using the early klippan spaghetti belts and have them fastened to the inner rockers. its been too long and i dont recall how they attach (shoulder belt portion). do they just come across your chest and bolt directly to the bolt in the rear side interior panel?? or does something suspend it from the b pillar? car is a 70

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

The buckle end obviously fastens to the threaded hole in the driveshaft tunnel.

The long piece has one end fastened to the threaded fitting at the base of the B pillar, and the other fastened to the threaded hole under the rear quarter window at about its midpoint. And next to this fastening point should be a small black plastic hook designed to hold the seat belt clip so it doesn't interfere with closing the door.

When you install, make sure the clip (the part that fits into the buckle) is oriented correctly so it'll insert into the buckle without twisting the belt.

A most inconvenient setup. You can use these existing mountings, plus one more (a hole drilled in the rear seat riser to hold the inertia reel) to install inertia reel belts in your early '02.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have this chrome metal hoop that bolts to the tunnel. i had thought the klippen belt hooked to that. i better take some pics. its too hard to explain.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

and like yours with the chrome loop on the tunnel. If you don't plan to punch holes in the rear side panels, I'd think the B-pillar attachment for the shoulder strap should work, if you can shorten it enough for use.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Blunt, you have the "center loop style" with the massive buckles--most 1970-71ish cars I see have these. Click the buckle to the center loop and then figure out which strap goes over the waist, bolt this one just behind the seat near the door opening. The other shoulder strap point mounts high just under the rear side windows. Believe it or not, I think these were thought to be an improvement over the really early "spaghetti" belts. I'm missing the fronts on my 68, but I still have the rears. Someone has installed Repa inertia reels for my fronts, but they are not 100% safe mounted to the stock location because the locating pin is gone and they can pivot, making them useless in a lockup situation. Inertia reels wont fit the back seat of these early cars because the cushion is in the way. Good luck.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

belts--with normal buckles and webbing on the center vs the chrome loop. Ben's got the correct mounting instructions for the loop style belts that were used between the earliest belts (68, 69 and some early 70s) and the inertia reel belts that were introduced in 1972. And having used all three styles, the loop belts are an improvement over the spaghetti ones, as the buckles don't get jammed down in the seat tracks. Not much improvement, though.

Ben, if you'll drop me an e-mail I think I can help with your wandering inertia reels...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Check this topic, I posted some pics of my 1969 with these style belts.

If you need any additional pictures just let me know.

MDK

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,290750/highlight,/

thank you, that helps. i dont believe my 70 has a threaded boss on the b pillar. i know it has one behind my rear side panels though so i just need to punch a hole in them. i know these are a pain in the ass but i think they have charm and i want to retain them rather than going to an inertia style. nobody but me will drive this car so ill set it and leave it. thanks for your help with the pics and all

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I 'm pretty sure I've got the same setup as you Blunt, as my car's an early '71, with the hoop for the belts. The shoulder strap mounting point is about 6 or 8 inches behind the B-pillar, a few inches below the rear window. The lap belt attatchment point is about 6 or 8 inches forward of the B-pillar, a few inches above the floor by the bottom of the seat.

I 'm pretty sure I've got the same setup as you Blunt, as my car's an early '71, with the hoop for the belts. The shoulder strap mounting point is about 6 or 8 inches behind the B-pillar, a few inches below the rear window. The lap belt attatchment point is about 6 or 8 inches forward of the B-pillar, a few inches above the floor by the bottom of the seat.

thanks i got the front all in and working properly. now im wondering if my 70 is supposed to have those grab handle thingys that hang from the b pillars? my 69 has 1 and i think i have a few in my parts bin but they may have been from parts cars. i think restoring a car when you are in your 20's would be easier. youd have most of your senses and be able to remember things better. i tried to label most things but a few got by me. but damn, im pleased with how my interior is looking. it looks vintage yet new. very nice

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

it looks vintage yet new. very nice

just like us...hey mister

so true. that reminds me, i need to get a haircut. just a trim though. im growing it out to look my best for the summer

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

now im wondering if my 70 is supposed to have those grab handle thingys that hang from the b pillars?

My '70 does have grab handles on the b pillars. Also, If you still have questions about the seatbelt mounting, I do know a guy here in S Mpls that has those style belts in his car. Email me if you need his number, I'm sure that he'd be happy to show you his car.

-paul