• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

generally speaking, how to 2002's fare in the rainy weather?

incrETAble

Well, the defroster in mine has never worked. So I had to keep a rag handy to wipe the inside of the windsheild whenever it would fog up. Water would drain into the cabin through the doors window cranks because the previous owner removed the plastic sheets you put on the inside of the doors. Other than that it was ok. Having all the windows fog up in the rain was freaky because I could'nt see a damn thing! This is when I used my '76 daily. I now have a '98 200sx mule as my daily driver. I miss having to drive with my windows down and my head out in the pouring rain. Thats really the only time I could see anything! Please make sure your defroster works. AND WELL!!

David

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

Gotta love my '74tii "Mae West" (Ireland stage Is, billys, 19mm bars, E30 basketweaves, 4-speed, 3.64 LSD) in the wet...

Think I-280 Southbound from San Francisco to Woodside at 9pm on a Friday in December...traffic humming in a pack...roostertails and spray more like an unlimited hydroplane race instead of a commute to suburbia...

"Slower Traffic keep Right?"

In Yer Dreeeeeems!!!

Got my rear view mirror FULL of a Lexus SUV that has the driver scratching his head about WTF is that leddle beedie cahr doin' a-hedd of his mega-buck AWD Payments up to my a-HOLE twelve MPG leviathan behemoth...

"Ah'm a gunna PASS-Yo-ASS as soo-oon as I can get caught up wiff ya."

Didn't happen.

Mebbee he can get his munny back...

OH, I'm from Michigan and I'm a rally driver/ice racer. IMO, there is nothing better than LSD and RWD.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

24-5757207.JPG

EXCELLENT !

...it's all in the water tight body and window seals,

working wipers,

healthy sealed ignition,

working heating and ventilation,

soft (original) anti-sway bars,

the tires,

the springs,

the shocks,

and the nutt behind the wheel. Smoothe driving technique.

You's don't need no stinking LSD or 4-wheel drive.

11-692460.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

was replaced, but the glass shop (eventually, with my help) found 'em. sunroofs have never leaked, and my defroster has always worked well. If yours wasn't the problem was either water leaking into the heater box (perhaps from plugged up plenum chamber drains--the "elephant trunks") or an inop blower motor.

You can make a nifty booster to move air thru your drivers side defroster outlet by mounting the fan from a hair drier (!--they're 12 volt!) inside the tube, suitably tied down, and wired into the blower switch so it'll go on with the heater blower. Or if you want to get fancy, wire a microswitch fastened to the defroster lever in series so the fan won't go on unless the defroster lever is moved to the open position.

As far as handling in the rain, given decent shocks, most of that ability is in the tires and the driver. My tires have always done well, the driver...well, most of the time.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1) Its the tires.

2) Driver, your skills make a huge difference

3) The rake of the windshield allows for the glass to clear itself better than many newer cars. A little rainx and your vision is amazing in the wet.

4) Understand what quarter-light windows are for. When its raining and high humidity, open them up, and run the interior fan at least on lowest setting and set the vents on defrost (upper vent only).

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

2nd on the wing windows. crack them open a little when you are fogging up -- learned that trick from the Pacific North West 2002 guys when I first got the car. I was like WTF I can't see when its raining -- not an ideal thing in Oregon :)

crack them a bit makes a huge difference some days

These videos demonstrate a very important feature of BMW 2002s, one that becomes extreemly evident in the rain.

"auto rotate"

I learned about this on the way home from high school one day many years ago not long after obtaining my drivers lisence.

And again on several later ocations.

This can lead to "other driver dinner plate eyes" and "you are number one" hand jestures if you use it in a populated area.

Also note that driving with the windows down in the rain generally keeps the windows from foging up.

Cheers

Karl

Too many BMWs and always looking for more!