• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

45 DCOE Pics

SeanH

Hey guys, I'm knee deep in carbs 101 here.

Can anyone looking for good karma post pictures of their carb setup? Internet links are appreciated as well.

I have a set of 45 DCOE carbs with a Warneford manifold and ITG filter.

There's a guy here named Visionaut that has a similar setup but I can't get ahold of him.

I just need pictures that show me where all the various wires go, etc. Due a change in plans and budget I'm now setting this car for a more streetable approach. So any advice on that front would be great too.

Thanks!

Not of my cars but here ya' go... 45 DCOE engine setup pictures galore...

I'm collecting the pieces for my own 45 DCOE setup and did a Google Image search to find these for my own reference.

Some of these cars belong to people on this list.

post-786-13667579105355_thumb.jpg

post-786-13667579106956_thumb.jpg

post-786-13667579108876_thumb.jpg

post-786-13667579109889_thumb.jpg

post-786-13667579110314_thumb.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Hi Sean. Just back - been away for a bit. What pics exactly might you be looking for? I'm guessing the linkage... (BTW, that's my motor in the 1st pic posted above). I'm running 40 DCOEs on my Warneford manifold, with 90deg horns and Lynx filters.

Here's another shot I had available, but if you're looking for something more detailed let me know. (Might not be able to post 'til Sunday tho').

Tom

post-1565-13667579116393_thumb.jpg

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Awesome. Thanks for all the great replies.

I was at your site just yesterday Steve and I routed you for all your worth, but I really appreciate the larger size on this picture. (I also spent some time checking your videos. Nice sound)

Thanks Tjones. Oddly, I already had quite a few of those pictures myself. But do you have any more of the guy with the ITG filter? I would love to see some more of how that's setup.

Visionaut, nice to have you back. I've been on and off this board since 2002 myself. I'm especially interested in your setup because your the only person I've found thus far that's using the same manifold.

I could really use some good pictures of your linkage if you have some handy. Are you running the BMW linkage or something else?

Also it sounds like your carbs are set up for more daily street use, which is what I'm going for. Any information on how you did that is highly appreciated!

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your help, gents!

Cheers!

• Administrators

Sean, at the bottom of each image you can click on "Download photo" and you can see the full size image from there. Some of them are at 2mb, so might take a while if you have a slow connection.

We used to sell a similar manifold here at FAQ several years ago. I thihnk we sold 3 or 4. Very nice piece. Could use some clean up after casting. The linkage used was a cble with a mounting point being a braket that attaches to the carb. Jam Engineering still has them. They sell the manifold and the linkage.

steve k.

12-3093.jpg

99006.110_2.jpg

99006.103.jpg

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Thanks for the linkage info. I'll keep that in mind. I'm holding off a bit before I buy a linkage because I don't really know what I have yet.

I got my carbs from Sean Casey in CA of 2002 Turbo fame. He just sent up boxes of stuff that go with them, so I don't really know what I have to buy yet.

One thing, I've heard you can purchase a special anti-vibration nut to attatch the carbs to the manifold with. Don't know if I'm describing that right, but is this a common part. Where do I buy these if so?

Thanks!

• Administrators

i have several left from the time we used to sell them. They are called anti-vibration/soft mounts.

Personally, i run gaskets without mounts. This way i don't have to worry about vacuum leaks, but the mounts my prevent some of the heat soak.

orings.jpg

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

You would have to have an airbox first. Those shown in the pics are custom. Most side draft setups you will see use foam filters of some sort. Don't know if the ti airbox would fit on DCOEs, but those are pretty much unobtanium.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

(nt)

post-1290-13667579173543_thumb.jpg

post-1290-13667579175056_thumb.jpg

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold

I'm especially interested in your setup because your the only person I've found thus far that's using the same manifold.

I could really use some good pictures of your linkage if you have some handy. Are you running the BMW linkage or something else?

Also it sounds like your carbs are set up for more daily street use, which is what I'm going for. Any information on how you did that is highly appreciated!

Yeah, I'm also using the "long runner" dual sidedrafts Warneford intake manifold. The longer runners nicely aid midrange and improve torque vs some shorter configs. I'll try to take some new pics on my linkage for you (I have nothing 'zoomed in' enough to show any details). I'm using the stock BMW linkage between the gas pedal and the firewall, then I'm using a custom pivot mount (attached to one of the back 'faces' on the manifold) connected to a standard Weber dual-carb center-pull cable mechanism between the carbs (with a return spring attached to a 'face' in the middle of the manifold).

True, my 02's a DD. I'm running a 304 Schrick cam, ported/polished late casting E12 head, MSD/Pertronix ignition, 9.5 Mahles, headers in my set-up. I'm running 35mm chokes in my 40s. For jetting params, I'm very close to the published Alpina A3 dual-Webers configuration with exception of larger air correctors for the altitude here in Mile High.

I use a 'pro' to tune my Webers - they have the experience, test equipment and all the jets available to do the job right. I have 'em checked/matched/tweaked about once a year (then it's set/forget until next year). I'm mechanically adept/experienced and work on my vehicles myself for most stuff, but with the DCOEs - well as Clint said, "A man's got to know his limitations". So I'm not sure I can help you with how-to (that you couldn't find elsewhere online or in the excellent Hayne's Weber manual).

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com