• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 in California - suggestions please

mhoffperson

My father in law has just gifted me with his '76 2002. The bummer is that it is subject to smog at some point. The good part is that it's in almost perfect condition without too many miles on it.

So my question is: What upgrades can I make and still keep it smog legal? Obviously suspension and driveline I can improve, but what about the engine? Specifically I'm thinking about, pointless ignition, different coil, different distributor, upgraded carb, improved intake manifold, improved exhaust manifold (Tii?), exhaust system, etc... Any consensus on what the best modifications are while keeping it legal? Or...what modifications can I make that even though they may not be perfectly legal by the book, would not raise suspicion at smog check time and I could get away with in the name of better performance?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you convert it to electronic fuel injection you can add power (and mileage) and also make the smog people happy. You'll have to go through a 'smog referree' to bring it all together, because the inpsector techs won't know what to do with it. The approach should be to add EFI to the '76 motor, and NOT replace the '76 motor with a later motor, so that they won't be tempted to force it to comply with, say, 1983 standards. On a healthy motor the '76 standards should be easily obtained by an EFI system, and you can do away with the EGR because they didn't have it on later systems.

Mike

application follows:

"I certify that I understand these plates may only be placed on a motor vehicle manufactured after 1922, which is at least 25 years old and is of historic interest. I also certify that I understand that the vehicle for which these plates are issued may be driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or club historic activities only."

Sounds like a almost certain way to get a ticket.

John N

The bureau of automotive repair has a method -see link: http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/geninfo/factsheets/referee_centers.htm

to enable people to accomplish just that. The basic procedure is that it has to meet the requirements for the model year of the engine you are using. In this case you may have to incorporate a cat converter, if the engine used one, etc. It is straight forward. Once you have their seal of approval (a special sticker that goes inside the bonet) you can have it smogged the next time at any smog station. There is a brochure that they issue on the subject - you may have to call them directly to get one.

The people that run the referee station in Salinas, are car people guys, very helpful and friendly.

FAQ Member # 91

You guys need to get a car enthusiast on the California legislature. Virginia must have one: our vintage plate statute also includes "testing" for the uses of an antique licensed car. My rusty east coast '02 gets a bunch of "testing".

ive read that the refs wont require 02s to run cats because the cars were not originally equipped w/proper heat shielding. is this true?

I'm guessing no cats because they didn't ever come with one right? Didn't they use thermal reactors at that time?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Man, if the people at the smog place decide they want to screw you, then you're screwed. They have a book, with pictures, and if anything they see under your hood does not match what they see in the picture, they can then charge you up to $450 to "fix" it. That's the "visual" inspection. The other part is the actual emmisssions test where they put the sniffer up the exhaust pipe, which can usually be passed by leaning out the mix and advancing the timing. So, even if you pass the emmissions test, you're at the mercy of a grainy black and white photo and people who do not have a clue what they're looking at. The referee does exist for those cars that have had the $450 spent and still won't pass (cha-ching for the smog shop), but it is now a one time only exemption, so in 2 years time you will be in the same boat but unable to go to the referee. If you really want to keep this car then I would suggest finding the shadiest smog shop you can and prepare to bribe them $500 to "make it pass". Seriously, they can stick the sniffer up another pipe and pass you. It's their ass on the line if they do that, but money talks.

Good Luck

Ben

'71 verona