• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slowly being priced out of 2002 ownership.....

Just a little "venting".

The current price of a "full '67-73 hubcap" from Max's is $128.23. YIKES! And that doesn't include the center logo. Say it isn't so.

mac.

I've stopped buying cosmetic things new-

watching all Jenn's trim get dented, my nose get

bumped, tail panel rear- ended, bumpers creased,

it's just too hard on my mental state!

So it's all good used things with most of the dents thumped out for me.

Thanks.

Guess I needed to vent, too!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You're likely to be priced out of E30 ownership, too!

My '74tii has E30 BBS basketweaves. I parked it during lunch hour on a busy street last week. When I returned, the RR center cap had been "appropriated."

I suspect someone somehow needed it more than me.

A trip to '02 Salvage in Burlingame got me another for a mere $30. New ones, I was was told, are $60.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

1. At least much of this stuff is actually available new from BMW...try to find a wheel cover for a '69 Chevy from General Motors! When there's no other source--or it's a perishable item, like rubber mouldings, it's nice to be able to get the proper piece instead of having to adapt. Even little bits like moulding clips (fortunately still reasonably priced) are stocked by BMW--for a 30+ year old car.

2. Lots of this stuff is available used from folks on the board and other sources. Who amongst us would buy a new $128 wheel cover (or even a $98 wheelcover) when a used one can be bought at a fraction of the price, shined up on a buffing wheel and adorned with a new $5 emblem?

To compare, price out replacement parts (mostly aftermarket) for a '69 Corvette, or the availability of bits 'n pieces for your 71 Datsun 510 or Fiat 124 Spider. Or even parts for 70s Mercedes Benzs. Think you'll find prices are comparable.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

i have 4 wheel covers ill trade you for some beer. - :) original '70 stock covers-- pretty banged up but all there-

i feel the pain man! My front shock bushings are all cracked and dying-- went to the local shop - ~98 bucks a piece! guy said-- go get some used ones, they only go bad every 30 years or so-- 10 year old ones will still last you 20 more years-

a post here and 30 bucks later i got two nice condition used and a free fuel pump to boot. courtesy of a fellow FAQer

'70 project

try to find a wheel cover for a '69 Chevy

Mike -- I believe we may still have the hubcaps from our '69 Chevy Kingswood Estate station wagon. My dad kept most of the spare parts when we finally had to tow the poor thing to the junkyard. If we still have them and we can find them (in the rafters in his garage), you can have them.

My '74tii has E30 BBS basketweaves. I parked it during lunch hour on a busy street last week. When I returned, the RR center cap had been "appropriated."

I suspect someone somehow needed it more than me...

Delia

Ha ha this is very funny. My old and wise Greek grandmother told me that once. Someone had liberated my "papou's" underwear from the clothes line out back...he was furious and asked "Who would do such a thing"?

To which she responded ..."Someone who needed them more then you"

A

oh- also try sticking bmw 2002 into RockAuto, ips-parts and sites like that-

there's a LOT of aftermarket support,

and while the quality varies, most mechanical stuff is easy...

fwiw,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Oh...

02 Salvage is in Hayward.

My bad.

My blonde, too!

D

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Oh...

02 Salvage is in Hayward.

My bad.

My blonde, too!

D

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

You're likely to be priced out of E30 ownership, too!

Delia

Haha the first thing I noticed when I moved to SF was that every BMW with BBS's were missing their center caps. So I kept the caps from the BBS's on my VW on the shelf the entire 3 years I lived there. I betcha someone goes around at night and has a garage somewhere full of them.

--

1974 BMW 2002 M2 (for sale, some assembly required)

1982 VW Diesel Rabbit Truck (Caddy)

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

Personally, I think there is an "initiation ritual" to E30 BBS ownership where the "new owner" has to forfeit one centercap to one of the more senior members.

For that reason, at any any given time in the Bay Area there is one less BBS centercap per car than prescribed.

"Musical Chairs," anyone?

Who ever has "a garage full" is just wasting precious space, IMO.

:)

Delia and (please don't take my BBS centercap) Mae West ('74 tii).

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com