• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

got spark, got fuel - but won't start

help - i've been poking at this thing for almost a month now with almost no progress. engine cranks but won't catch. OCCASIONALLY it will catch for a second or two - but not for long enouch to start it. fuel pump is doing its thing - fuel is reaching the plugs - plugs are getting spark. fuel quality has been called into question. i will probably be draining the tank, but in the meantime does anyone have any other avenues to investigate? its cold up here now (i won't be driving her - i just don't like it sitting without being able to start her every once in a while) but we've had some warm weekends that haven't seemed to help the situation at all. anything to chew on would be appreciated . . .

'72 2002 Golf 'Adeline'

'87 325IS

Often you can get it to start by adjusting the distributor as the engine cranks. Other than that you might look at the wire postions in the distributor cap to make sure they are going to the right plugs.

just a few thoughts to consider.

Steve Vonk

'74 BMW 2002 Atlantik

Often you can get it to start by adjusting the distributor as the engine cranks. Other than that you might look at the wire postions in the distributor cap to make sure they are going to the right plugs.

just a few thoughts to consider.

Steve Vonk

'74 BMW 2002 Atlantik

thanks for the responses guys. gave a run with the starting fluid several times. caught for a sec on two out of three days of attempts. no lasting luck however. as far timing - i'm assuming that isn't the issues because i had no running problems before she decided to take a nap. i will be looking into to be sure though. i forget to mention as well that it didn't start initially in rainy weather and has been known to be a little tough to start in wet conditions - which made me suspect the distributor - but it seems to check out alright.

'72 2002 Golf 'Adeline'

'87 325IS

i forget to mention as well that it didn't start initially in rainy weather and has been known to be a little tough to start in wet conditions - which made me suspect the distributor - but it seems to check out alright.

Hmm...what color spark are you getting? Should be blue I believe, otherwise it is weak. Check the point gap, condensor wire and connection inside the distributor and the harness connector on the outside of the distributor? I had a condensor break loose from its mount before and that caused some nasty problems as it randomly grounded.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

Check the jets and see if the little blue 'gaskets' are in place. I had that problem also. The jets can get clogged also, so blow some compressed air in there. Prime the carb by spraying some gas into the carb as someone cranks it, if it turns over and starts with that; it's the jets. in other word they are clogged or the little blue things are out of place.

If the car was running when it was parked I dont think the timing has changed, check to see if the advance plate in the distributor is not stuck if it rotates freely I would suspect the resistor bypass try temporarily putting 12v from the battery to the coil and see if it fires.

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.