• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bypassing the cold start controller on a tii

Pierre

I can replace the controller but for cost considerations, I won't.

I know you can have a switch that can trigger the cold start injectors.

i also know that all you need to do is jump two wires at the controller box.

But which two?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

To bypass the Time Switch, unplug the harness from it and connect a normally open pushbutton switch between terminals 15 (green wire) and SV (red/white wire) on the harness connector.

A new Time Switch is about $150 from BMW. I can provide a rebuilt one for one-half to two-thirds of that. I will buy your bad Time Switch. Email me for details.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Curt,

Can you explain the advantages of by-passing the switch? Thanks.

I can.

1. It's cheap.

2. It's easy.

3. It won't break.

I put a push button located where a manual choke would be in a carbed car and it goes directly to the coldstart injector. When I turn the car over i push the button. If the engine is cold I'll continue to hold it down for a second after it starts up. If the engine is warm I may not use it at all. Cost about 5 bucks for a marine style push button with a rubber cover.

On my TII, I wired the cold start to the starter. That way it only injects when the starter is engaged. This method has worked fine for ~ 20 years in all kinds of weather. G

ya i've heard you can run it to the ignition too, so while the starter is engauged it'll squirt.

As far as I've seen any live wire to one side of the cold start injector with a switch will work..

Find a new relay box...either a used one or a new one. The push button is tacky in my opinion. A Tii is meant to start by just turning the key...like a modern car....

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Find a new relay box...either a used one or a new one. The push button is tacky in my opinion. A Tii is meant to start by just turning the key...like a modern car....

I've never had a modern car so i wouldn't know-nor would I assume that being like one is better. I do have a 1990 nissan diesel (not sold in the states known as a patrol or a safari) and I love that it had mechanical injection as opposed to efi.

Shamless plug for a FAQ supporter and affliate.

Call Rob at 2002haus.com or check out some of the prices for his parts.

http://www.2002haus.com/tii_parts.htm

$87.95 for a thermotime

$96.25 for a CSV

Pretty good price considering what a stealer will ding you for.

Be sure to mention the board when ordering and 10% goes back to the FAQ.

Colin K.

Malaga '72 tii

The thermotime switch which looks like a temperature sensor and bolts onto the cooling system.

The controller box which hooks up to the fire wall.

The injector itself.

I had a difficult time finding the controller box in RealOem.

So what is the official name for that thing?

2002 Haus has the switch and the injector.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam