• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What years got which bits- and when?

TobyB

I'm pulling apart a parts car- vin 1670200-

and it's a 6- fuse car with no 'crumple zone' in the front inner fenders.

But it had rear marker lights from the factory, as evidenced by the (somewhat original) paint and stamping of the panels.

Has anyone gone through and tracked the myriad stupid little changes that happened over the months? I keep finding 'truths' like 'only 12- fuse cars got lighted side markers' turning out to be completely wrong...

yeah, I've had too many '166...' and '167...' cars, it's true...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

Here's what I can tell you based upon the ownership of about 12 pre 74 cars - and from 11 years professionally researching parts via BMW microfiche, books, and the (oh so flawed) electronic CD catalog:

I have never seen a 6 fuse car with illuminated rear side markers - only reflectors - and there's NO stamping variation in the rear fenders except a hole for the wiring /bulb base, or *maybe* the filler neck opening where the rubber boot attaches. Easily overcome. I wouldn't doubt they exist - but I've never seen it. Early quarters have been NLA for some time - there are lots of early cars with later rears - and body shops will often install the lights so they don't have to weld up the hole - perhaps the wiring has the long transluscent plastic splice connectors in all cars - making this an easy "plug n' play" deal.

BMW switched carbs, cylinder heads AND rear seatbelt mounting in mid 72 - all about the same VIN range. Later 72s have 3 pt seatbelt holes threaded in the rear C-pillars - though only Euro cars came with the option - go figure! Front seatbelt mounts moved in early 72 as well.

the first 72 tiis originally had 121 heads, higher comp. pistons, and plastic runners - then switched to metal runners and E12 heads - then BACK AGAIN to plastic / 121 stuff (probably a shortage of parts during manufacture) then BACK AGAIN to metal runners. I've never encountered the "later car with early runners" myself - but it is documented in the BMW fiche.

"early" and "late" exterior mirrors - the ones referred to as early are smaller and trapazoidal - and the later ones rectangular - though there are MANY factory sales photos with early smaller mirrors on square light cars, and the larger rectangular mirrors came original on many / most 70 on USA cars.

Euro cars had no switch on the brake fluid jar, and the brake failure light (without lettering) is illuminated by low fuel on them - and / or handbrake - as in 74-76 cars. Euro cars had different sending units for this reason - extra connector / wire.

Larger fuel tanks in late 73 on cars

red rear turn signals - USA only until about 70

early pre 70 US cars had flat fr. signal lenses with 2 bulbs or dual filament bulbs (I can't remember EVERYTHING right?) - UNLIKE the Euro flat lenses which are strictly signal - single filament bulbs.

remember - all these manufacturing years I'm giving are USA years....Euro 73 = USA 74 - same for Euro 71 = USA 72, etc...

FYI: Mike McCartney's book is very good - but it's not the holy Gospel...or maybe I'm just bitter that people can buy a book for $20 and learn all the stuff it took me DECADES to learn first hand! *laughs!*

There's loads more - I'm sure others will pipe in here.

HTH!

Paul

6-fuse car, VIN 1678338. It has:

* Lighted rear side markers

* Bulging front turn signals (I think this change was mid-69 MY)

* Amber-center rear lights (Also a mid-69 change)

* A trapezoidal side mirror

* No upper rear seatbelt mounts (c-pillar or package shelf) as far as I can see.

This is a 140k-mile car that's been in the family or with a family friend since new, so I know these things are original.

All that just for the communal records. Mike Self, of course, is the real master on this sort of trivia. Not knocking you at all, Paul--I know you know your stuff; I just also know that Mike can rattle off changeover dates for the most obscure things...

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

and had no markers, rear quarters are original.

(bare metal respray, so I'm sure)

1670200 had 'em, original holes, original rear quarters.

Also had rear reflectors, but those could have easily been added...

1678196 had 'em too- still a 6- fuse car-

but the front inner fenders are reticulated so that when I hit the wall,

they'll collapse, lessening the chance of worse damage.

Those are the 3 data points I have...

Well, that, and obviously too much time on my hands...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Lighted corner markers, head rests, and air pumps are a US requirement starting 1968. The front turn lamp serves as the front marker. However there was some cheating. My '68 had the smog and headrests, but the markers were missing. Perhaps the dealer changed the seats and installed smog to sell a '67 as a '68, but then again it was also 12 volt. The lines are fuzzy.

1. The factory often made changes simply because they ran out of a specific part, so they just switched without waiting for a year end or any other reason. They also used up stuff--thus the dark blue seats in '68 and '69 white '02s, when the sales literature calls for black. Per Michel Poteau, they were using up a surplus of NK seat material. And they changed rear quarter window latches from all chrome to chrome with black knobs (and a plastic cover for the body screws) very late in 1973 production...I'll bet they changed suppliers or ordered some cheaper latches...

US safety & emissions requirements also account for some oddities--and why there are two distinct types of '69 2002s--those built before and after 1 Jan '69 (at approx VIN 1664761). The US regs changed on 1 January, and BMW didn't build cars that met the new requirements until 1 Jan. Thus the early '69s didn't have headrests, four piston brakes and a bunch of little stuff--like three speed heaters.

The easy way is to check the parts book, but it isn't always correct. The parts book shows no 2002s were equipped with 13 inch wiper blades, but my very early second series '69 has 'em--and I bought the car new.

Bottom line--not even the factory knows some of the little details, so we should document this stuff on original or unmolested cars before it's all forgotten.

Lots of other little details abound...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite