• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

He is back from Iraq and ready to help on the project

Our soldier son is back from Iraq!

Nathan arrived at Ft Stewart, GA, last Thursday after a year in Iraq as 11 Bravo, Army infantryman, serving as a gunner on a HumV and ASV. He looks great and has all of his parts. Ruth and I were able to go to Georgia over the weekend to hug his neck.

He returns earning a CIB (Combat Infantry Badge), gold spurs from a Calvary unit he was attached to for a few missions, two Army commodations and a chestful of ribbons. Proud dad's see these things in spades you know.

He said he is glad he got home in time to bend the brake lines on the project car. When Nathan deployed in May 2005, I knew I needed something to keep me focused or should say distracted. Mike Pugh found me a crusty 1972 2000tii to work on. I bought it in June, drove it until September, then started the tear down and refurbishment. Most of the components are complete thanks to Evan, my younger son and my wife who helped a great deal. The body should be complete in three weeks. So, hopefully, I will have it back together in June or July.

Nathan will be back in Maryland tomorrow around noon and his official welcome home ceremony is on Saturday at the University of Maryland. Then he is off to a bike ride somewhere, Tail of the Dragon I believe for a much needed vacation.

Thanks to all of you who supported Nathan with your thoughts, e-mails, gifts of food, cards, shirts, caps and most of all your prayers. Nathan's first civilian outfit was a t-shirt from Greg Lavalle, Lavalle Restorations in Greensboro, NC, and a cap from Mike Pugh and the 02 Group from NC.

The picture is Nathan hugging his mother as they met in Savannah. The other soldier hugging one of his two small daughters, is Nathan's very good friend, driver and battle buddy who Nathan owes his life to at least twice.

4May12.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad your sun made it home safely....

Best Regards

Jonathan

jgmgti

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

Fantastic news Bill..send me an e-mail if you will, I have a couple U.S.S. Dwight D. Eisenhower ( aircraft carrier ) ballcaps, would love to send one to Nathan. I was on the Eisenhower for 4 years, while in the U.S. Navy 1980-1984.

Tim

1969 2000

Congrats Bill....that is great news. Beth and I have often thought of your son and family during the past year and she'll be thrilled to know he's back safe and sound.

Please extend our thanks to Nathan for going and doing the tough work for the rest of us.

Tim L.
Ex-1975, 1976, 1976 BMW 2002s

Congrats Bill....that is great news. Beth and I have often thought of your son and family during the past year and she'll be thrilled to know he's back safe and sound.

Please extend our thanks to Nathan for going and doing the tough work for the rest of us.

Tim L.
Ex-1975, 1976, 1976 BMW 2002s