• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not counting turbos, ti, and other exotics,

Hahaha, I just pay in dribs and drabs... that way I really dont know... :P

OEM nose, OEM hood, two OEM doors, a few rust holes, some panel beating, exhaust relocation, preparation, paint by an award winning painter... geez... I'm feeling light headed!

toddsig05.jpg

because there are so many things involved. Generally speaking, I think it would be a tough decision to spend a lot of money on a regular '02, unless it has special meaning to you (like it's been in your family forever).

We all know you won't make money restoring these cars, but, it's a little easier spending more money for a good paint job on a tii because the value and rarity is there. That's the reason I spent more for my paint. Sort of rare car, rare color on the car, sunroof, plastic runners and original window sticker.

Craig74tii

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

When I take out my "restoration" loan next year, it's going to be for $15,000. I think that's a sensible price. However, it might not last long judging by the state my car is in....

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

A great deal, apparently. I lost track some time ago but I think body alone was approx $13,500 and there was a lot of stuff I did not do. That was basically just Rust repair and basic paint job, plus carpet and headliner. With a new engine, brake upgrade, suspenstion bits and pieces, etc etc etc - over $20K and still counting - a 5 speed conversion will happen eventually.

But mine is one of those that "has been in the family for ever" so it was an emotional thing. And I had a small inheritance from my Grandmother that covered better than half the cost. Spreading it out over a few years makes it less painfull too.

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

No historical value... I am 22, I got my 2002 when I turned 18...

To make things worse, it was just an Auto... (with a 5-spd in in when I got it)

From day zero, I had this vision, that is slowly playing out in real life as I type... a racer in engineering and a classic BMW in looks...

I just need a bit more of the engineering side of things... and more money.

I have a goal in my head and I was planning on doing small stuff along the way, now I have a "Do it once, do it the way you have always wanted it" motto, rather than "Oh, I'll get this, but then this is better, blah, blah..."

From now on, no more spending on motor until I get an S14, no more suspension until I get Ground Control Coilovers... etc."

I dont give a shit what it costs, it is not a genuine Tii, it will be better I hope. One day, when I am older and more established, I will purchase an immaculate all numbers matching 2002 from on of the old blokes who has kept it in pristine condition since back in the day, who has fallen off his perch...

Or if I am good and a success like I hope, I will buy a Turbo and complete my 2002 fantasies. (This is among many other cars that I would like to own...)

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Amen brother! Outsiders really do get me down when it comes to the money I spend on my 2002. Believe me, I cut the wool that was over my eyes months ago.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

(1) unless you're extremely lucky or do most of the work yourself (and don't count your time as $$) you'll not make any money off restoring "ordinary" 2002s (i.e. not Dianas, tourings/cabrios in the US, Turbos etc)

(2) With that settled, it's your own choice. Do it for sentimental value, for bragging rights at car shows, as a different daily driver, as a fun weekend car, as a race/autocross/rallye car. It doesn't matter 'cause you're doing it because you want to.

(3) Have fun...when it becomes a chore or a drag, it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing--showing you a fun time.

I spent way more than the car was worth to re-do all the rust on my '69--even doing quite a bit of the work myself--but it was my first new car and even with my '73, I couldn't see getting rid of it--not after 37 years. (see post above).

Just me prattling on....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite