• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Krylon Black Wrinkle Finish. Thanks-Robert ('73 Inka)

2002Targa

If you hadn't posted your manifold job a few weeks ago, I never would have thought to do mine. It took me a couple of tries, but you're right, the oven is the way to go.

The manifold, I just painted and put under a heat lamp, it had some smooth spots on it.

I then put the valve cover in the oven at 200 for about 10 minutes, took it out, put on a nice thick coat and then stuck it back in the oven for a couple more minutes, and it came out great. The Krylon stuff works pretty good. And I think it's going to hold up pretty well too. It was a real bitch getting the stuff off the valve cover after I screwed it up the first time.

TK

post-67-13667560434008_thumb.jpg

post-67-13667560435739_thumb.jpg

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

wow. You know I just did that same thing this weekend with a valve cover!

That krylon stuff is neat. I put mine above my fireplace and the crinkle came out great.

Great minds think alike!

Dang: I wish i'd known the wax trick. I spent a while scraping off the paint and dremmling to polish up the letters etc. Nex time i'll use the wax trick for sure

I've never heard of the wax trick, but sounds like it would work great if you can keep it out of the little nooks of the letters.

I started off with a sanding block and 400 grit wet dry for the large letters. I was scared I would rub through around the smaller lettering and I was right, it was a real bitch, if you look close you can see a flat spot down to the right of the zundfolge.

For the 4 3 2 1, I finally smarted up and got a really fine jewlers file and filed the paint off. Very accurate.

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

with your fingernail or a small piece of plastic (like a plastic spoon). The same trick works when you're repainting the BMW hood/trunk emblems)

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

That looks good!

How close is it to the crinkle coat on the E30M3 valve cover and accumulator?

I need to redo mine, and since my wife will be out Christmas shopping anyway...

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes