• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Wire

Today while disconnecting wiring from my old engine, I found a red wire (see photo) which dead-ended (exactly as shown in the photos) close to the female connector which attaches to the starter.  Both the red wire and the black starter wire share the same harness which goes into the firewall.  I don't seem to  have any electrical issues which suggest the purpose of the wire.  What might be the purpose of the wire?

IMG_7947.thumb.jpeg.7b857fc93a639fc67766e2ccf62a5809.jpeg

ScreenShot2024-05-23at9_26_22PM.png.bd412c1e8b920e20c479e91df67f4d95.png

If you have an updated coil (with the resistor removed), that might have been the full 12volt feed to the old coil in start function. After started, the ignition feed was reduced through the resistor.... just a guess, any idea where the other end terminates?

• Like 1

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

OR,

My system gots a resistor.  The wire goes into the firewall and then into Nether Regions of the Unknown.   As the build proceeds, I am sure I will be into the under-dash and cluster area >100 times.  For some reasons, 02ers looooove to stick their head up and into that area 'cause it is sooooo much fun.

Thanks.  

• Haha 1

Might be the red wire to the #1 pin on the diagnostic plug (next to the fuse box).

Was there any sign of a ring terminal on the main feed to the starter from the battery?

Remotestart1and7.thumb.JPG.3efa0f5ff389269581e2cfdb9e51e9b3.JPG

Posted (edited)

If a continuity test between the severed end and the battery positive then it's a factory wire (red is not fused direct from the battery and as @John76 said.  If not check between the diagnostic port and the severed end.  Find the other part of the wire.  Cover the live end at least.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Do't think 1970 cars had the diagnostic plug...believe that began with the modell 71 cars (257/8/9XXXX VINs)

Coulda been a PO's source for non-fused power going to something that no longer lives on the car...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

36 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Coulda been a PO's source for non-fused power going to something that no longer lives on the car...

Like an ammeter ... remember those?

Judging from the gauge of the red wire, this was my first guess.