• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust headers

Go to solution Solved by markmac,

Hello 👋 

can anyone help me find out if exhaust header outlet sizes are the same size on a 1600/2 as they are on a 2002

I found a performance stainless exhaust I really like the look of. The store owner said it will fit ‘e10 engines’ fine. but I don’t know if it will actually fit my car due to it not being a 2002, but a 1600/2.

I just want to make sure bolts and everything will line up and it will fit. Exhaust ain’t cheap and I don’t want to get it wrong 😄

MARTELIUS.COM

Racing-spec 4-2-1 style manifold. Pipe diameters: 42 - 50.8mm. Outlet size 63,5mm.  Material stainless...

Thanks in advance 

Dan 

Those are huge pipe diameters for a stock 2002, let alone a 1600. You'll lose a lot of exhaust velocity, and thus torque in the bottom two-thirds of the rev range. It's a race exhaust for a reason.

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

It will physically fit on your engine, but as above you'd be better off with a smaller tube header, or if your engine is more or less stock just stay with the factory header.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

What 02Pilot said......the pipe coming out of the collector on my 'race' header is as I recall 62mm + (a little), and that is attached to a 270bhp Schnitzer twin cam 16v motor.  You would do well with some other.....maybe even a tii manifold with modified downpipe.  Here are a couple of pictures of the FIA homologated downpipes for Gr 1 2002tii's

5447 Homologation Gr. 1 Page 001.jpg

5447 Homologation Gr. 1 Page 002.jpg

5447 Homologation Gr. 1 Page 003.jpg

5447 Homologation Gr. 1 Page 004.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 02Pilot said:

Those are huge pipe diameters for a stock 2002, let alone a 1600. You'll lose a lot of exhaust velocity, and thus torque in the bottom two-thirds of the rev range. It's a race exhaust for a reason.

Thanks, that’s really helpful to know 👍

I’d like to upgrade to stainless. Possibly just for the longevity aspect but I’m also just after deeper exhaust notes really. Are there any alternatives I could consider? 🙂

Yup- bigger center resonator.

But a 1600 needs to spin to make power, so 'deeper'

is always going to be relative.

t

usually settles for 'doesn't get tagged for sound'.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL