• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing w/o a tachometer

I recently acquired a '75 which I'm prepping for sale. I had to replace the distributor w/ an electronic jimmer jammer but the challenge is that this car WAS a factory automatic which was converted to a 5speed. The cluster clock remains and I kind of find it charming so I'd like to keep it. Any advice on monitoring the RPMs with a temp add-on tach of some sort? There are some universal tachs on amazon for ~40 but the reviews are quite bad indeed. Is it reasonable just to hook something up temporarily under the hood just for the sake of timing it?

Most digital dwell meters will also display RPM's and some are under 40 bucks, or you could keep Tom (mintgrun) as the worlds top Innova salesman and buy one of their fine timing lights he's only 3 away from getting the coveted Golden Timing Light Lifetime Achievement Award.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I see old school analog handheld dwell meters occasionally at the thrifts.

Bought one for like $7 at Goodwill and it did the job.

I did end up buying an Inova timing light though😉

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

It's also the start of garage sales I've found many good tools at them like a 36" snap on 3/8th extension for 3 bucks, but dwell/tune up gauges are pretty common.

Marty has never seen a tool he didn't want to take home. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

36 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

the worlds top Innova salesman and buy one of their fine timing lights he's only 3 away from getting the coveted Golden Timing Light Lifetime Achievement Award.

Based on the search function, I am only seven posts away from mentioning the innova 5568 100 times.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/search/?&q=innova 5568&type=forums_topic&quick=1&author=%26%23x27%3B76mintgrün%26%23x27%3B02&nodes=8&search_and_or=and&sortby=newest

Make that six!

• Haha 4

great stuff! 😂😂

what if i told you i have a 3555? only b/c i didn't realize at the time of purchase that a 5568 EXISTED and i was probably just being cheap. furthermore, i reply to you on a spring saturday morning in the midwest – and about 100 thousand garage sales are about to go off. maybe i'll keep an eye out for tools, and bonus points for a faux copper bundt cake tin, a yanni box set (cassette of course), and a wooden tennis racket