• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cinturato CN36

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Yes, you can drive daily on the CN36s wet, dry.  The tread pattern on the RA-1 doesn't like wet very well.  It would be interesting to know the treadwear rating on the CN36s. This for the 13" versions...

From what I've seen:

RA-1 100 AA A, (Treadwear, Traction, Temp), not available in 13"

Michelin XDX-B 185/70 13: 100 A A

Vredstein 185/70 13: 160 A B

Kumho: 185/70 13: 700 A B

Laufenn 500 A A

Pirelli CN36 185/70 13:  ???

Michelin XAS 165/80 13: ???

Pirelli CN36 165/80 13:  ???

@72MetallicMalaga Just put some 205/60/13s on his lowered 2002. Much different profile than we are talking about here, but they do exist in 13s. 

21 hours ago, JohnS said:

I've purchased two sets of the 185/70 CN36s from Longstone and couldn't be happier.  Their customer service and fast shipping was excellent.  Funny that I can get a set of tires from the UK to California quicker than TireRack can ship a set of tires from Nevada.

I love the look of the Dunlop 185/70 SP Sport AquaJets.  Wondering what your opinion is of those tires when compared with the CN36?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/185-70-13/185-70vr13-dunlop-sp-sport-aquajet.html

Thank you for saying so.

I agree the SP Sport do look cool. they are so very of the period. However i'm afraid they dont perform so well when tested.

Editorial E-Type Auto Bild Klassik.pdf

• Like 1

21 hours ago, popovm said:

how do these compare to modern performance tires like the Toyo RA1s? Similar performance with vintage looks or are they different classes of tire? 

On your car miles better.

Your car doesn't have the geometry of a modern car. they present the tread to the road in a very different manner. your car will handle better on the CN36 better than anything else. (except perhapds the XDX or the CR6ZZ )

WWW.LONGSTONETYRES.CO.UK

185/70 R13 Tyres, the perfect tyres for a Ford Cortina. Get the best classic tyres from Longstone Tyres. Call us on +44 (0) 1302711123 for more information.

If you make some major geometry changes to your car you might be able to get more grip in the corners with a modern tyre, but every thing you do will make it a less pleasant road car. However what you do to make a racing car isn't what you would do to make a road car.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Longstone Tyres said:

On your car miles better.

Your car doesn't have the geometry of a modern car. they present the tread to the road in a very different manner. your car will handle better on the CN36 better than anything else. (except perhapds the XDX or the CR6ZZ )

WWW.LONGSTONETYRES.CO.UK

185/70 R13 Tyres, the perfect tyres for a Ford Cortina. Get the best classic tyres from Longstone Tyres. Call us on +44 (0) 1302711123 for more information.

If you make some major geometry changes to your car you might be able to get more grip in the corners with a modern tyre, but every thing you do will make it a less pleasant road car. However what you do to make a racing car isn't what you would do to make a road car.

Food for thought, thanks. 

22 hours ago, popovm said:

So the Cinturato is maybe more of a sporty all season than a performance summer tire?

This was discussed fairly recently.  I believe they are a summer compound in a vintage tread and casing shape.  I have been unable to break mine loose on dry pavement with a mostly stock engine ( i have only been medium aggressive, fwiw).  So, reasonably sticky, but not an autocross tire.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, johnny02 said:

This was discussed fairly recently.  I believe they are a summer compound in a vintage tread and casing shape.  I have been unable to break mine loose on dry pavement with a mostly stock engine ( i have only been medium aggressive, fwiw).  So, reasonably sticky, but not an autocross tire.  

The point with these tyres on your cars is they dont 'BREAK' they gentley start to move under neath you as the contact point rolls around the shoulder of the tyre as the car leans.

A modern tyre on an old car breaks loose. ( see the hightly technical diagram attached.)

this is another example of progressive handling is when you have next to no grip and a sold bar of steel for a back axle driven by chains instead of one of those sissy differential thingies.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Flongstonetyres%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0ECULVJkWypjiW44rb6vo1e6DyqYdPD3k91QxbGrRrE4aePAcTdZqsm1ZAuuYELRul&show_text=true&width=500&is_preview=true" width="500" height="347" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Mine is the bare alluminium boat tail one with the cheakey up the inside overtaking manouver 40 seconds in. I have Longstone Tyres written on the back of my racing overalls.

handling.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

On 4/23/2024 at 9:48 AM, markmac said:

I am dating myself with the Phoenix reference, you have to be as old as dirt to have had a set of those (or even know what they were.....

Or remember Fulda Y2000 tires as well. To bad Fulda pulled out of the US market. 

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

On 4/25/2024 at 1:22 AM, Longstone Tyres said:

The point with these tyres on your cars is they dont 'BREAK' they gentley start to move under neath you as the contact point rolls around the shoulder of the tyre as the car leans.

A modern tyre on an old car breaks loose. ( see the hightly technical diagram attached.)

this is another example of progressive handling is when you have next to no grip and a sold bar of steel for a back axle driven by chains instead of one of those sissy differential thingies.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Flongstonetyres%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0ECULVJkWypjiW44rb6vo1e6DyqYdPD3k91QxbGrRrE4aePAcTdZqsm1ZAuuYELRul&show_text=true&width=500&is_preview=true" width="500" height="347" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Mine is the bare alluminium boat tail one with the cheakey up the inside overtaking manouver 40 seconds in. I have Longstone Tyres written on the back of my racing overalls.

handling.jpg

Not sure I understand what you are saying but I love the graphics sir !

On 4/25/2024 at 4:22 AM, Longstone Tyres said:

handling.jpg

For those of us running on 15" wheels, what's your feeling on these Michelins? I was planning to order a set later this year, and unfortunately you don't seem to offer any other options at the moment.

WWW.LONGSTONETYRES.CO.UK

Back to the search for 195/50 x 15

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Ok so fitting a 195/50R15 on these cars will handle dreadfully unless you lower the car, stiffen the springs and dial in some adverse camber.

Yes if you just put them on without the modifications you will have less straight line wheel spin. Is that an issue? assuming your brakes are up to it you will have slightly shorter stopping distances in a straigh line. But are you locking up your wheels?

you will not corner as well without the above modifications.

Loosing an inch in side wall will dreadfully harshen the ride. (and as a result increase the wear on your cars components)

having a 50% profile 195 section tyre will increase the load on your steering components. The further the outer extrimities of your tyres get from the centre of your tyre they increase the leaverage on your steering components.

Then; when you are in a corner, as the suspention loads up, and the car leans, the wheel will suddenly pick up a large portion of your tread off the ground creating an unpleasant snatching handling effect.

It is a case of what do you want? a race car or a road car?

I am not knocking this at all of course, but i am concerned that people go down this route without fully understanding the compromises. I come accross people who fit a wider wheel and tyre on an e-type because they think they want more grip, which they end up not getting unless they are in a car park, then before you know it they are fitting power steering and they have set them selves up for a stream of unnesseary modifications to overcome the derogatory effects of their modifications.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longstone Tyres said:

Ok so fitting a 195/50R15 on these cars will handle dreadfully unless you lower the car, stiffen the springs and dial in some adverse camber.

Yes if you just put them on without the modifications you will have less straight line wheel spin. Is that an issue? assuming your brakes are up to it you will have slightly shorter stopping distances in a straigh line. But are you locking up your wheels?

you will not corner as well without the above modifications.

Loosing an inch in side wall will dreadfully harshen the ride. (and as a result increase the wear on your cars components)

having a 50% profile 195 section tyre will increase the load on your steering components. The further the outer extrimities of your tyres get from the centre of your tyre they increase the leaverage on your steering components.

Then; when you are in a corner, as the suspention loads up, and the car leans, the wheel will suddenly pick up a large portion of your tread off the ground creating an unpleasant snatching handling effect.

It is a case of what do you want? a race car or a road car?

I am not knocking this at all of course, but i am concerned that people go down this route without fully understanding the compromises. I come accross people who fit a wider wheel and tyre on an e-type because they think they want more grip, which they end up not getting unless they are in a car park, then before you know it they are fitting power steering and they have set them selves up for a stream of unnesseary modifications to overcome the derogatory effects of their modifications.

Fair points all. My car is heavily modified in virtually all the ways you describe and more: big brakes, chassis braces, etc. It was heavily autocrossed and rallied for years, though it is a street car at this point. I'm quite used to it. The 15s are staying because 13s don't fit over my front brakes (at least none of the 13s I've tried).

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Cool. I like both ends of this cenario. I loke a standard car and a heavily modifies cra. here are a couple of my cars.

DougalCawley-GNStandardAlanCox.thumb.JPG.a317ed5b625cea4063f6bfc5298ef324.JPG

This is me in the totally standard 1921 GN that my mum gave to my Wife. Chain driven with a IOE V-Twin air cooled 1100cc engine. The car is as it left the factory gutless but gorgeous. flat out at 50mph on a good day with a following wind. We just ran it at the Light car Race that Longstone Sponsored with in the VSCC. (This year it is a Long Car Race at Donnington 7th July)

Picture027Francois-arsenejolivett(2).thumb.jpg.13b7f2ee27d98252537ba0e2464caa74.jpg

The Car on the right here is my 1921 GN Special. you can see the chain drive on the back, it has the same 1921 Chassis set up with some extras added. I was having a fantastic tussle with a straight 8 supercharged Type 35B Bugatti. But my GN has a Frazer Nash Radiator, because i need the water to cool the 3.3Litre Model A Ford with 1930 Hot Rod over head valve conversion.

I love them both but they are as different as chalkj and cheese

PigandGN.thumb.jpg.e1e45789d45dbe1325b62445f4694094.jpg2022.thumb.jpg.8ae6ef1c72b1313f07eb69074aa3ff8c.jpgBMWChasingACSprint2020.thumb.jpg.2582c7168afd75509f258798d923fccf.jpg

• Like 5