• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air filter options for the stock two-barrel air cleaner

Go to solution Solved by OldRoller,

41 minutes ago, wingswheelshulls said:

Excellent point to remember, and why I used a layer of foam covering the adapter and preventing any metal to metal contact between the adapter and air cleaner.

I will - thanks for that tip.

I'm hoping to get a closeup

look at a car with an airbox at some point. 

Once again putting on my contrarian hat...

I've been using an air filter meant for mid-70s Ford products (Purolator #40103) for many years.  It's a very tight fit and actually squashes down a few mm when you latch the air cleaner lid so makes a very tight seal.  It's available at any auto parts store and is quite inexpensive.  

I also found a filter that fits the smaller 1 barrel air cleaner that's meant for essentially any 6 cylinder GM car from the late 50s to the early 70s (except the Pontiac Sprint engine).  Fram # CA 189.  Same tight fit, universal availability and cheap price.

Started using both when my local parts emporium thought BMW was British Motor Works and carried nothing for them Britmobiles...

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I agree with Mike. Using a Fram CA 3300 air filter I used to use on my very first car (a 77 Capri.) ....

Easy to source, it fits fine and performs like an .....air filter.. 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

13 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Using a Fram CA 3300 air filter I used to use on my very first car (a 77 Capri.) ....

Sounds like you're due for a new one too.  That thing must be filthy by now!

Thank you for providing the part number.  Google showed me this one.  It looks like the same basic design as the WIX I tried, but the inner mesh (screen) is weak enough to get smashed by the lid, so it may seal better.

FRAM CA3300

Here's an online snapshot of the Hengst E183L.

Amazon.com: Hengst E183L Air Filter : Automotive

The Mann C3260 looks very similar to the Hengst.  Both have sturdy inner metal bands and a lot of pleats.  More pleats equals more surface area.  The thick soft rubber ridge on the top and bottom are set back from the edge of the band and fit into the grooves in the air cleaner base and lid.

Mann Filter C 3260 Air Filter

On 4/6/2024 at 8:17 AM, visionaut said:

The Genuine BMW filter is still available. FCPEuro has them at a decent price…IMG_2723.jpeg

FCPEuro has them?  They say they're 'available' but that they ship in     4 - 6     w e e k s .   

I'll bet that's a Mann filter and they just chose a nicer example for the photo.  (It's the same photo as the one above it).

I probably just got an especially chitty example.

I take the lid off of my air cleaner every time I reinstall it to make sure everything's aligned right, so I'm handling the air filter fairly often.  It's wet more often than dusty around here, so they stay clean for years.  It's worth it to me to pay a little more for a nicer example, if I can find one. 

Unfortunately, around here, that means mail-order; which makes returning duds a hassle.

Thanks for all the thoughts, suggestions and contributions.

Tom

9 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Sounds like you're due for a new one too.  That thing must be filthy by now!

Thank you for providing the part number.  Google showed me this one.  It looks like the same basic design as the WIX I tried, but the inner mesh (screen) is weak enough to get smashed by the lid, so it may seal better.

FRAM CA3300

Here's an online snapshot of the Hengst E183L.

Amazon.com: Hengst E183L Air Filter : Automotive

The Mann C3260 looks very similar to the Hengst.  Both have sturdy inner metal bands and a lot of pleats.  More pleats equals more surface area.  The thick soft rubber ridge on the top and bottom are set back from the edge of the band and fit into the grooves in the air cleaner base and lid.

Mann Filter C 3260 Air Filter

FCPEuro has them?  They say they're 'available' but that they ship in     4 - 6     w e e k s .   

I'll bet that's a Mann filter and they just chose a nicer example for the photo.  (It's the same photo as the one above it).

I probably just got an especially chitty example.

I take the lid off of my air cleaner every time I reinstall it to make sure everything's aligned right, so I'm handling the air filter fairly often.  It's wet more often than dusty around here, so they stay clean for years.  It's worth it to me to pay a little more for a nicer example, if I can find one. 

Unfortunately, around here, that means mail-order; which makes returning duds a hassle.

Thanks for all the thoughts, suggestions and contributions.

Tom

Observe the number of pleats in the filter media between the Fram and the other two.  If the paper used in each is equal in the particle size retention, the Fram will exhibit a greater pressure loss in the same usage time.  Ya gets what ya pays for.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.