• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air filter options for the stock two-barrel air cleaner

Go to solution Solved by OldRoller,

Last year I replaced an old dirty Mann filter with a NAPA filter, made by WIX.  When I removed the cover last week, I noticed quite a bit of dust on the inside of the filter housing and there was evidence of it getting under the filter.  I don't recall driving anywhere very dusty, but there was quite a bit of grittiness on the wrong side of the filter.

I noticed that the profile of the rubber was different than the Mann and it's stiffer rubber too.  The Mann filter's shape fits into the groove on the base, but the WIX has a hard ridge that rides there, not letting the rest of the surface seal.

So, I ordered a new Mann filter to replace the new WIX filter and learned that the quality has gone downhill since my old one was made. 

First off, it's PINK!
IMG_2065.thumb.jpeg.cf99cfbb2cbbde7950db0a8c5c709010.jpeg

Second, it looks like gooey bubble gum. 

IMG_2066.thumb.jpeg.898557fbc3f6c06600e9da82e0fc76c6.jpeg

IMG_2069.thumb.jpeg.67e7a2de23d10f5fd81ae60b183f36d8.jpeg

Third, they couldn't even get the pleat spacing right.

IMG_2070.thumb.jpeg.a14934d350f6e475dc931f8037bd14a9.jpeg

If I'd bought it locally, I'd have opened the box in the store and said never mind.  I put it back in the box and stuck the WIX filter back in the car for now.  I may see about adding thin foam to the underside to seal it.

The old Mann filters were a lot nicer.

IMG_2068.thumb.jpeg.d65b1f6f3881f570f7938cc5fd5ceca9.jpeg

Who still makes a nice filter that fits our air cleaners?

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
Adding photos
  • Sad 1

• Solution

A few months ago while restoring the air cleaner I looked for filters, found a guy on ebay that had Knecht AG60 filters (stock number for the 02) so I bought a couple. Perfect fit. 10 bucks per.

airfilter1.thumb.jpg.00076ad0b88c954c9bf1b8c8288d6e4a.jpg

airfilter2.thumb.jpg.6dcafdc9f0fbb3f390274e751da24007.jpg

I have a spare. I'll PM you and send you one. Gotta have clean air!

• Thanks 1

'Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Robert Hunter, Scarlet Begonias.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Now that is a nice air filter! 

See how the rubber ring at the top is separate from the metal mesh at the edge?  That's the problem with the WIX, the mesh makes the tall part rigid, so it cannot compress/seal.

Thank you, Barry!

Tom

I just replaced mine and the Mann seal, while pink, was relatively deformable which should allow for a better seal.  There was a relatively new Fram in mine (holdover from PO), and the Mann seal was noticeably more flexible.   While Hengst is now my preferred filter for the fleet, Mann still appears to be a quality choice.

Sadly, many of the traditional suppliers have made changes that I'm not pleased with; Mann are still good, but not what they were since acquiring Purolator, the last set of Mahle oil filters for my 911 were COO China as was the last one I purchased from the Dealer for my Lotus....   Not saying that China cannot make a great filter, but somewhat distasteful.

Edited by wingswheelshulls
  • Like 1

1974 '02 Golf 'Gabby', few Porsches and leaky British things.

I agree about the rubber used in the Mann filters.  That's why I ordered one.  I just find the aesthetics of the one I bought to be off-putting.  I could live with the color, it's hidden after all, but the globbiness of the bubble gum bugs me.  Is yours nice like the old orange one I showed?  I'd like to think mine's just defective and they're still making quality parts.

I tried to order a Hengst filter from an online source, but they refunded my money saying they're out of stock, so I went with Mann, since my old one seemed nice.

Now, I get to thank Barry every time I open the air filter.  :) 

4 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I agree about the rubber used in the Mann filters.  That's why I ordered one.  I just find the aesthetics of the one I bought to be off-putting.  I could live with the color, it's hidden after all, but the globbiness of the bubble gum bugs me.  Is yours nice like the old orange one I showed?  I'd like to think mine's just defective and they're still making quality parts.

Mine is similar.  It had more glue overrun or squish out than I prefer, but I don't see that as having any meaningful performance implications, but does appear a bit sloppy.  The Fram I removed had nice, neat seals but also rock hard (wasn't that old) and less pleats.

The Mann should still be a great filter.

7 minutes ago, Dave919 said:

This is good to know - I picked up an old airbox that I want to clean up and then fit to my Weber. 

Some quality time with a Dremel and a few different bits and all will be well.  I chose to trim down and radius the neck of the adapter also.  Note that the trim and radius wasn't complete, nor the proper fitting of the PCV neck and the car still had the Fram.  Note also the pleat density on the Fram compared to others. 

BMWCVs.jpg

• Like 1

Nice.  Try to find the two original mounting brackets.  It's a brilliant design, having the support out at the edges because the air cleaner assembly is heavy and the engine vibrates.  The metal in the dome of the air cleaner is brittle and will crack if it is mounted with screws.  I like to use wing nuts to mount the filter so it doesn't require tools to get in there.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Nice.  Try to find the two original mounting brackets.  It's a brilliant design, having the support out at the edges because the air cleaner assembly is heavy and the engine vibrates.  The metal in the dome of the air cleaner is brittle and will crack if it is mounted with screws.  I like to use wing nuts to mount the filter so it doesn't require tools to get in there.

Tom

Excellent point to remember, and why I used a layer of foam covering the adapter and preventing any metal to metal contact between the adapter and air cleaner.

• Like 2

After looking at the Jam adapter and others I decided to make one, using the original filter mounts as guides to ensure the housing rested at original height. Turns out the 1 1/2" space was correct. Subsequently I reworked my buddy's 76 housing to fit his 32/36 as well. 

The post is here:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/201295-what-did-you-do-to-your-2002-today/page/787/#comment-1649931

• Like 3

'Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Robert Hunter, Scarlet Begonias.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC