• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch pedal only moves about 2 inches and hard stops

Go to solution Solved by Tommy,

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll be removing the tranny in the next day or so and work to find the right T/O bearing.........I'll return with the results when it's fixed.

And yes the pressure plate is installed.....😁

2 hours ago, conkitchen said:

It's been known to NOT happen-ask me how I know. 

I haven't seen anyone forget the Pressure Plate, but I have seen a BMW master tech forget to put the clutch disc in.  I was helping him put the exhaust system back on a 635CSI when he noticed the new disc sitting on the work bench.  I LMAO.  

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

4 hours ago, Preyupy said:

I haven't seen anyone forget the Pressure Plate, but I have seen a BMW master tech forget to put the clutch disc in.  I was helping him put the exhaust system back on a 635CSI when he noticed the new disc sitting on the work bench.  I LMAO.  

Well it went something like this: I had test fitted the trans as a mock-up for a 5 speed conversion. Days/weeks go by and well ya know you get excited and start to reassemble like it's all good to go.  

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

But what do I know

On 4/3/2024 at 11:36 AM, Preyupy said:

Whoops.

I haven't done that, but one time long ago I had just wrestled a Porsche 944S2 torque tube back into place after a clutch job, was feeling good. Then I saw the press-fit starter ring gear (this needs to be transferred over to the new clutch pressure plate on Porsches of this era) sitting on the ground . . . . a fellow Porsche tech completed a 964 Carrera 4 clutch job and turned the key to start the engine: ZIIIIIIING!!!! Also left the ring gear out :)

It can happen to anyone.

• Haha 1

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

Hopefully, you can find a throwout bearing for the 228mm clutch and 4 speed.  I replaced my clutch/PP/TO a few months ago, and had a heck of a time finding a throwout bearing.  A few places said they had them in stock, allowed me to place an order, and then cancelled because of unavailability.  I finally found one at Max for $175 ($$$, but I gladly paid), and they only had a few left.  

I did a quick check of a few vendors, and it looks like supply might still be a problem.  IIRC 228s were used on regular 2002s until ~73, and all Tiis.  

• Like 1

Well everyone, trans is out and I've measured the TOB and it is in fact the 42.5 version.  As Sam in VA says, mostly NLA all over the map.  I called Max and they are out of stock now.  I'll continue to try and find the 47.5 version but if anyone has a lead please pass it along.  Five + weeks to the Vintage and I'm stuck.....

So the 47.5mm version is BMW #21511204224 or Sachs #3151 039 131 ... and yes, they seem to be widely NLA. I found this Dutch shop that doesn't say NLA...maybe worth to try.

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Tommy, Thanks for the research here.  I'm trying to order the part but when I do the online order it won't allow me to select shipping to the US.  I've messaged them and requested help with that.

Again, thank you very much and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks to everyone that has helped out with this issue.  I've talked to Metric Mechanic and they had a new 47.5 mm one stashed on a shelf in the shop.  I should have it in a few days.

On to the next thing for now.....

• Like 3