• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Birthday, Old Paint!

Hello, The Forum,

My 1974 turns 50 this year and am wondering if there is some way to determine its actual date of manufacture. Looked at Mike Self's info and did not see what I am looking for. Is this encoded in the VIN? Stamped on the car somewhere? In a filing cabinet in some Munich basement?

Thanks!

Scott

18 hours ago, kiloscott said:

Stamped on the car somewhere?

Not the manufacture date of the car itself, but a lot of components have date stamps on 'em:  engine block, cylinder head (casting dates), tail light housings, instruments, seats, even wheels.  If they're original to the car, it can give you a pretty good idea of manufacture date, as the parts are generally dated anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before the car was actually assembled.  And if you find dates that post-date your car's assembly date, you'll know they aren't original to your car.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 1 month later...

Not sure what you mean? I thought I was just adding a comment into an FAQ string discussing vin info and that I had tried to get my 02s info and they now want $$$$. 

18 minutes ago, Tom Daley said:

Not sure what you mean? I thought I was just adding a comment into an FAQ string discussing vin info and that I had tried to get my 02s info and they now want $$$$. 

I was just wondering if you just sent an e-mail with your VIN to: hdz.info@bmwgroup.com.  If you asked them for a certificate showing manufacturing info, or some kind of letter, then they would ask you for money.  If you went to a website and requested this information, then they would ask for money.  For the free info available from BMW about the manufacture date and original color of the car, just send an e-mail with your VIN to: hdz.info@bmwgroup.com and ask them for the manufacture date and original car color.  You should then receive an e-mail response with the requested info.

Just trying to help you get the info you want without having to pay money.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

We’re now hearing from multiple reliable sources that the official certificate (125 €) is the only way BMW will respond with its once-free data!

But, like @bergie33, I’m curious precisely how you worded your request.

Most of us — yes, I wore out my welcome with my last request regarding three early tii’s — simply asked, in an email,

”Can you please provide any data you have regarding a 1976 2002, VIN 2742541?”

We wrote nothing more, for fear of being sent to the “Fancy Certificate Department,” where you had to pay for the same free data dump. Who does that? 🤔

On my, this could signal the end of an era! 😢

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 3/7/2024 at 9:00 AM, kiloscott said:

Got a reply first thing when the lady in Munich made it to the office, before I even went to bed.  Now that's service.

Sounds to me like @kiloscott got the expected email reply…

And I bet ol’ Andreas Harz would still gladly reply without pushing any ‘official’ Certificate. :)

Maybe you made them have to hire more staff Steve? lol 

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

BMW Group Classic are seemly now concerned with ‘data protection’ (GDPR?) and providing their build info only to folks who own & have the actual vehicle in question

Owners of historical BMW vehicles who have proof of ownership and photos of the chassis and engine numbers can request a birth certificate using the order form.”

“Unfortunately, telephone enquiries are no longer possible for data protection reasons.”

https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/offers-and-services/classic-center.html

Boo!

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com