• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a stock floor brace or a home brew fix?

Redtail

Curious if these little "L" braces are stock from BMW or someone's (long ago) attempted rust repair. They are 16g steel and the rest of the floor is 18g. Thanks!

20240222_145233.jpg

20240222_145324.jpg

20240222_145353.jpg

Edited by Redtail

Yea at first I thought they were factory but there is some other welding work on the car that is definitely not factory.

Thanks for reposting the pictures, I must have forgotten how to do it! 

Edited by Redtail

They were also used to Engauge the conveyor belt on the assembly line, now all they do is collect dirt and mud to help out the rusting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Nobody is gonna cry foul if you don’t replace them. A whole lotta people just omit them when replacing the floor pans. 

They’re super easy to fab if you really want to keep the “factory” look.  If you do put ‘em back, I’d recommend using some brushable seam sealer around them. Those brackets are a classic place for floor pan rust. 

• Like 1