• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New clutch

I recently had a new clutch installed in my five speed 76, 2002. Before the installation the shifting was smooth. With the new clutch, it takes a few gear shifts at the start before it functions smoothly. Once I go thru the gears all is good. I also noticed that if I just go out and sit in the car and not start it up, the gears seem to shift fine. Any ideas?

Well the first two things come to mind, one is the wrong throw out bearing was used for the 215 clutch, and the second is if they replaced the slave cyl it was installed with the bleeder facing up as would be normal for most slaves but not the 320i 5 speed.

image.thumb.png.c5cfeca04459ac1039e577e2a68733ca.png

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Did you install new bushings?

Also, check if the shifter assembly was installed correctly.  I have not experienced what you are going through, but I'm just following what is recommended by the e21 repair manual shown below.

IMG_7338.thumb.jpg.425a7b554a3599ce18afe75ccd94c774.jpg

Following is the installation of my clutch slave assembly:

IMG_6895.thumb.jpg.ba7ba0d698ff1b9490813cc425f331e1.jpg

Edited by BeMyWay
  • Like 3

Light is seriously underrated.