• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floor pins - retaining insulation/carpet

zambo

Stripping the tar boards off the front interior floors, I came  across these pins. (This one just happens to be on the tunnel). 

It seemed like they were to keep the fibre board insulation in place. Were these on all cars?

I’ll be hitting them with a dremel so I don’t catch my fingers again and due to the fact the replacement stuff is self adhesive. 

Were they “shot” into the floor at interior assembly stage? 

IMG_6180.jpeg

Yes all 02 I've seen have the pins and they were installed before paint, and yes they are good at puncturing skin🥺.

• Like 4

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I had rust repair work to do to the front of my pans, so I cut off what was left of those pins and then welded on homemade tabs to replace the rusty pins on the floor.  I'm a fan of the original fiber board/tar/foam sound proofing.  The self adhesive stuff is vibration dampening, whereas the fiber board pieces absorb/block sound.

034.thumb.JPG.47dfc9ffb8a732e752a7fa4973ab2ef0.JPG

021.thumb.JPG.946118089d92c4cce638a124a0493cf3.JPG

I gave mine a coat of varnish the last time they were out of the car.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d8ae9a019ce099bee0a365c874edabb.jpeg

• Like 4

Weird, don’t have those in my very clean ‘74, nor any apparent missing pins.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

10 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I had rust repair work to do to the front of my pans, so I cut off what was left of those pins and then welded on homemade tabs to replace the rusty pins on the floor.  I'm a fan of the original fiber board/tar/foam sound proofing.  The self adhesive stuff is vibration dampening, whereas the fiber board pieces absorb/block sound.

034.thumb.JPG.47dfc9ffb8a732e752a7fa4973ab2ef0.JPG

021.thumb.JPG.946118089d92c4cce638a124a0493cf3.JPG

I gave mine a coat of varnish the last time they were out of the car.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d8ae9a019ce099bee0a365c874edabb.jpeg

Thanks Tom - I didn’t mangle the fibre board on the way out so still useable. And the varnish idea is smart for longevity - and they do provided good sound proofing.