• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Windshield

I've done a search and there have been several posts - but they are not current.

Anyone have a source/part number for the front glass? Best place to get/ship from? Is this something that is still dealer orderable?

TIA

Make sure when you replace the windshield, if you need a new gasket that you (or the shop) gets an OEM one.  Unless they've vastly improved their product, the URO gaskets don't fit correctly and will either (1) cause leaks or (2) break the windshield while trying to install it. (learned this from experience some years ago after the installing shop broke three windshields using URO gaskets)

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks. I will keep this in mind.  As i'm in Canada it's apparently difficult for glass shops to get their ordering together for such an older glass (or they just don't want to help me with supply only). Anyone deal with an outfit that will ship (i can collect from WA if need be)

Cheers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, visionaut said:

Yep - you can get 2002 windshields in bronze, clear, clear heated, green, green w/blue sunstrip, green w/green sunstrip, and bronze w/blue sunstrip. 😁

That is incredible! Curious to see all of these iterations to see what would look best :)

I noticed this thread and I need a new for windshield for my 1973. I know it had green tinted glass, but would the windshield have a sunstrip?  If so, what color sunstrip is the most accurate to get?  Also, where are folks buying OE seals from?  Thanks - Eric

I do a lot of 2002's and I have found that the best place to get a frt windshield is from the dealer here in Canada.  Shipping and don't forget, more shipping means more chance of glass damage, is what will get you up here.   They cover the shipping and if there is a problem, they won't accept it and will reorder a new one       Best fit and I also agree with everyone about using a factory seal      Don't forget the chrome strip and little filler piece

Thanks, Rick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stephers said:

I do a lot of 2002's and I have found that the best place to get a frt windshield is from the dealer here in Canada.  Shipping and don't forget, more shipping means more chance of glass damage, is what will get you up here.   They cover the shipping and if there is a problem, they won't accept it and will reorder a new one       Best fit and I also agree with everyone about using a factory seal      Don't forget the chrome strip and little filler piece

Thanks, Rick

Hi Rick - so just call up the dealer and give them the year and VIN? I hadn't thought of that. I'm a land rover guy and every time i called up for a part for a Series LR, i always got "we don't have anything for anything that old"

update - no BMW can see this glass- "discontinued"... :(  

Edited by CapstoneBC

1 hour ago, EricA said:

I know it had green tinted glass, but would the windshield have a sunstrip?

Mine didn't when I bought it from the original owner in 1978 (with the original windshield) and the replacement windshield I had installed in the late 80s didn't either.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm 6 foot tall and sitting in a 02 I found the lowed edge of the sun strip was right in the center of my line of sight, it was annoying as hell especially at night. That was my experience your mileage may vary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Green without sun strip it is!  It looks like that’s available.  I’m also over 6ft and I find them irritating.  Is the dealer the best place to order the seals or is there any lower priced options for seals?

Edited by EricA