• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aesthetic opinions about floor mats

HLBlanton

Back in the day, I scoffed at Coco mats (sort of like driving gloves). I find my self increasingly nostalgic and thinking about getting a set of four for my 1973 Malaga TII with a brown interior.

The question is which color and which weave would seem most period appropriate and sharp. Where do your tastes land?

5 minutes ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

I have the terracotta and black, or if you prefer brown/black longitudinal loop weave weave ala Coco mat.com order a couple swatches.  

The terra-cotta and black is definitely sty-ish while still being punchy enough to get your attention. I think the black and orange is a bit too bold. Good idea about getting some swatches. 

do you have any idea what was most common back in the day? I just can't get my head around what I was used to seeing, but I felt like most of the cars had something pretty similar. I don't tend to follow fads, but if they are 50 years old, I feel like I get a pass.

Edited by HLBlanton

4 minutes ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

My dad had some that looked very close in the standard Coco weave to the ones here back in 72 in his 2002

image.thumb.png.9f7fa3948451a2216207fdb93ee42f9a.png

Given your name, I'm guessing you have Malaga as well? I think the one you've pointed out is brown and natural and that was my first look. I'm definitely going to order some swatches.

I put a set of natural-color coco mats (I think they were actually sisal back then) in my Nevada/tobacco interior '69 when it was new, and have always liked 'em.  Never liked carpet mats, but will admit to using a ribbed rubber floor mat during the winter when I (gasp!) drove my '02 in the snow (Hey--it was my daily driver then--no snow since 1998!). 

I have the same natural coco mats in Wolfgang (Nevada) and Ludwig (Sahara) with the same color interior as your Malaga car.  Still think they look nice (and period!).  And...when the heel pad cracked on my Sahara car, I sent the Cocomats folks a picture and they sent me a new heel pad.  That's customer service!

mike

PS--I have the nicest pair of string back driving gloves, bought at a leather shop in Rome Italy many years ago.  They're great for hanging onto those slippery bus wheels--and those with wood rims.  Don't autocross without 'em!

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

I put a set of natural-color coco mats (I think they were actually sisal back then) in my Nevada/tobacco interior '69 when it was new, and have always liked 'em.  Never liked carpet mats, but will admit to using a ribbed rubber floor mat during the winter when I (gasp!) drove my '02 in the snow (Hey--it was my daily driver then--no snow since 1998!). 

I have the same natural coco mats in Wolfgang (Nevada) and Ludwig (Sahara) with the same color interior as your Malaga car.  Still think they look nice (and period!).  And...when the heel pad cracked on my Sahara car, I sent the Cocomats folks a picture and they sent me a new heel pad.  That's customer service!

mike

PS--I have the nicest pair of string back driving gloves, bought at a leather shop in Rome Italy many years ago.  They're great for hanging onto those slippery bus wheels--and those with wood rims.  Don't autocross without 'em!

I just think to when I drove with cheap leather gloves, and a sheepskin coat back in the 70s and cringe just a little bit.

now, if you want to talk about slippery wheels and needing gloves, – I dare you to try parallel parking a 300SL Gullwing without scuba gloves.  It is so freaking heavy. My wife is a terrific driver, but when we rally together if the steering wheel needs to be muscled, we switch out seats.

6 hours ago, visionaut said:

I love my Cocomats. For my 02 I went with the black/red mats, incl a trunk mat. ( Black car with blue/black interior, the red ‘dots’ add a little contrast).

Any pics?  I have red seats and have been torn between red dot and red checks.  

On 11/28/2023 at 9:33 PM, HLBlanton said:

now, if you want to talk about slippery wheels and needing gloves, – I dare you to try parallel parking a 300SL Gullwing without scuba gloves.  It is so freaking heavy. My wife is a terrific driver, but when we rally together if the steering wheel needs to be muscled, we switch out seats.

I am too poor to read this. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1